• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Any GM Techs got an idea on this?!

88gmctruck

02GMCtruck
Reaction score
Ok, so I converted my 02 regular cab to PWDL with a harness from a wrecked 2001. I checked the pinouts and everything is correct between the two harnesses.

After installation, the PWDL would work on my 2002 BCM, with the exception of the driver's door unlock (this is because the new harness has the 2-step unlock circuit and was not programmed for it in my BCM).

I installed the BCM from the 2001 and everything works perfectly (PWDL, RAP, RKE, Content Theft system, etc) and performed the 30min Passlock programing and the truck runs fine. The only issue is the airbag light is on.

So I re-installed my BCM (which does not have the airbag light on) and reprogrammed the passlock, and took it to the dealer. I explained what was going on and after an hour the tech couldn't get any of the functions to work. I talked to the tech in person and he honestly has no idea what he's doing with a Tech 2.

So after researching, I found that the issue lies with the fact that the 2001 BCM is from a different truck and the SDM is from my 2002 and the vins don't match. I read something about using Tech2 to learn the restraints ID by 10 minute VTD relearn.

Basically I want to either correct the airbag warning light and use the 2001 BCM (which has all the functions working) or have my 2002 BCM programmed (which he couldn't figure out how to turn anything except foglights on).

Thanks!

Your basically stuck unless you find someone that has access to GM programming. Then you can reflash either or BCM I believe

Silly question have you just tried to clear the Airbag light with a Tech II?

No because the tech didn't sound like it would work since the BCM and SDM have differnet vins programmed into them. And I already got boned $90 for the first try programming and didn't get anything out of it.

I'll try and get a hold of my LIL Buddy Benny who knows all about this kinda geek'ie stuff. :D

That'd be awesome. I just can't keep dumping $$$$ into labor when the tech doesn't have an idea what he's doing.

The really sad part is this is the first time either of my vehicles has been worked on by someone other than me... I do all my own work so this really gets me aggravated.

I'll try and get a hold of my LIL Buddy Benny who knows all about this kinda geek'ie stuff. :D

DURAtotheMAX Ben? He was the first one I thought of when it comes to the Tech2. I thought he was registered on here, but I don't hardly see him around.

Your basically stuck unless you find someone that has access to GM programming. Then you can reflash either or BCM I believe

Silly question have you just tried to clear the Airbag light with a Tech II?

Ok, so I converted my 02 regular cab to PWDL with a harness from a wrecked 2001. I checked the pinouts and everything is correct between the two harnesses.

After installation, the PWDL would work on my 2002 BCM, with the exception of the driver's door unlock (this is because the new harness has the 2-step unlock circuit and was not programmed for it in my BCM).

I installed the BCM from the 2001 and everything works perfectly (PWDL, RAP, RKE, Content Theft system, etc) and performed the 30min Passlock programing and the truck runs fine. The only issue is the airbag light is on.

So I re-installed my BCM (which does not have the airbag light on) and reprogrammed the passlock, and took it to the dealer. I explained what was going on and after an hour the tech couldn't get any of the functions to work. I talked to the tech in person and he honestly has no idea what he's doing with a Tech 2.

So after researching, I found that the issue lies with the fact that the 2001 BCM is from a different truck and the SDM is from my 2002 and the vins don't match. I read something about using Tech2 to learn the restraints ID by 10 minute VTD relearn.

Basically I want to either correct the airbag warning light and use the 2001 BCM (which has all the functions working) or have my 2002 BCM programmed (which he couldn't figure out how to turn anything except foglights on).

Thanks!
Good point Mackin, if that BCM came from a wrecked truck that had the airbag go off, that's probably the reason right there. I think the only reason for the vins needing to be changed is for the security system, so if everything is working just try clearing the codes and see what happens.

DURAtotheMAX Ben? He was the first one I thought of when it comes to the Tech2. I thought he was registered on here, but I don't hardly see him around.
Yeah it would be nice to see Ben around here. He always had some good info back then...
Good point about the wrecked truck BCM Jay:thumbsup:

Yeah it would be nice to see Ben around here. He always had some good info back then...
Good point about the wrecked truck BCM Jay:thumbsup:
It was Mackin's point, I was just pointing out his point, to the point that it looked like my point I guess. I think he was being elusive.

Well I used a friends programmer for his 07 Duramax to read the DTCs and it didn't have any stored.... Do you have to use a Tech2 scanner to see airbag codes?

I might stop down at the dealer and ask them about re-setting the airbag light.... for some reason IIRC the tech thought that it might not work because the VIN stuff but i'm not sure.

I got a hold of Benny hopefully he'll chime in. I don't know what type of code reader you're using and most likely it will NOT clear or read ABS or Airbag data.

A tech II would for-sure

That is what I figured. I might try taking the truck in next week and see about clearing the airbag stuff.... Hopefully Ben has some clue, Devin was saying that he knows his stuff.

if the airbags went off,there will be a hard code that you cant get out[but for $30-50 you can send it to a place in texas ,its on ebay,and get it fixed]but if the airbags didn't deploy you can use the ''tech2'' to do a sdm relearn ,its in the airbag/body section,,you should be able to use a ''tech2' to reprogram the bcm to see the options you need to use the power windows

Well the Airbag (SDM) module is the original from my 2002, only the BCM was changed. Does it store the information that the airbags deployed (which they did in the parts truck).

The tech said he couldn't find any of the options for PWDL etc, the only one was foglights and tire size when using my vin number.

Ok, Let me see if I can clear this up easier lol

Swapped dash harness for PWDL. Everything is wired correctly.
Took truck to dealer with my 2002 BCM and my 2002 SDM with no airbag light on.
PWDL and power mirrors work without BCM re-program, but Content Theft System, RKE (Remote Keyless Entry) and RAP (Retained Acessory Power) do not work.
Tech couldn't program truck with Tech2 Scanner for anything. He said that there wasn't any options to turn on Content Theft System, RKE or RAP.

I swapped the BCM from the wrecked 2001 parts truck. I performed passlock re-learn.
Everything fuctions properly but the airbag light is on. This is using my original 2002 SDM. I have heard that this is because the vins do not match in the BCM and SDM.

Back