• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Any Differences between 95 GMC suburban sle 6.5 TD & 99 tahoe 6.5 TD

aLpHaSuRf

Reaction score
Hey all I am posting this thread after search the net and many forums about and differences between the 95 GMC Suburban SLE 6.5TD and MY 99 Tahoe 6.5TD.

So far what I was able to come up with is the ECU is different because the 95 Can be programmed or tuned and the 99 can not. I also found that the 95 has 8 lugs and my 99 has 6.

Are there any other differences that anyone can inform me about.

Thanks guys.

The Burb is based on a 2500 body(8 lug) and the Tahoe a 1500 body(6lug), both can be tuned. The ECM in the burb has a removable chip OBD-1 that can be tuned. The Tahoe has to have the ECM OBD-2 removed to be tuned.

The burb does not have an EGR while the Tahoe will. Check your VIN #, the 8th letter in the Burb will be a "F", the Tahoe a "S"

Last edited:
NVW thank you. I will be buying a 1995 GMC Suburban SLE 6.5 TD this week that is why I am asking. I am even considering letting the 99 Tahoe 6.5TD go. I found threads from the PO on the tahoe on here and not sure if the truck might be better off with someone who has more experience then I to give her the TLC she needs.If you want to look up the threads the PO goes my spdgofast

NVW thank you. I will be buying a 1995 GMC Suburban SLE 6.5 TD this week that is why I am asking. I am even considering letting the 99 Tahoe 6.5TD go. I found threads from the PO on the tahoe on here and not sure if the truck might be better off with someone who has more experience then I to give her the TLC she needs.If you want to look up the threads the PO goes my spdgofast

The '95 is OBD I, whereas the '99 is OBD II. The '95 will have a 599 block and the '99 will have a 506 oil squirter block (oil spray piston cooling).

I read somewhere on the internet that the 95 block is a better block is that true because I know not everything you read on the net is 100% accurate. Also if the 95 599 block doesn't have an oil squirter block is there a different method of piston cooling?

I read somewhere on the internet that the 95 block is a better block is that true because I know not everything you read on the net is 100% accurate. Also if the 95 599 block doesn't have an oil squirter block is there a different method of piston cooling?

Some will say that the early 506 oil squirter blocks were more prone to cracking than the 599 block that's in the '95. Other's have said that you know early on (first 20K Mike's) if your block is bad and suffers from cracks. If you're past that, then you're fine.

Okay. Thanks so any 6.5 506 oil squirter with over lets say 20-30k miles should be a good one.

My 95 had a 141 non oil squirter block, it was likely a late year block. Some later 141 blocks had the oil squirters, likely 96 and later prior to the 506 blocks?

The oil squirter mains were the only way the cylinders were lubed, they used a higher volume oil pump.

I have no idea how many miles it takes for cracks to show up, unless the engine is torn down the cracks are unknown.

Okay so is the 599 a non oil squirter block? Also if I do go to buy the 95 suburban 6.5 how can I tell what block she has? I am going to print out missy good wrenchs pre buying check list and go one by one to make sure shes a good running truck.

my 96 has a 141. I wasn't aware that any 141s had squirts. also 95 will have the single tstat and I believe some of the underhood accessories are on the opposite side

my 96 has a 141. I wasn't aware that any 141s had squirts. also 95 will have the single tstat and I believe some of the underhood accessories are on the opposite side

I wasn't either until one was posted here, IIRC it was a member from Leduc, AB. He did a dual turbo install?

It happens :). It will come to me when I stop trying to remember. The guy I'm thinking of only posted a couple of times after I joined. I bet Jim could come up with his name.

I think I was incorrect referencing a 599 block. It's really a 141 block. The '95 has made it this far, it should be pretty good. There are some mods from latter years you should consider madatory. High volume water pump, Dmax fan and new fan clutch to go with that. New oil cooler with braided stainless lines. PMD remote mounted in the bumper. ATT turbo with a tune. The '95 is OBD I so you can get a muttioke portion tune done on the ECM and they're great. New crossover pipe, row pipe, and 4" exhaust from Diamond Eye. You will sit le handedly jump start sales for Leroy here.

MAY 99 and newer Burbs came with the enhanced diesel...

Back