• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Any advice for first my time tearing my tranny apart?

Sparky8370

Do chickens have large talons
Reaction score
Any advice for someone installing a kit for the first time? Anything to watch out for? Any balls or springs that go flying, and then you can't find them? Just anything to watch out for in general?

be very careful. there are check balls that go with springs in the valve body that sometimes dont end up back in the valve body. be careful with those. the big snap rings inside that clip to the case are tough but walk them out and in. the tabs on the side of the case could break and have. if so you need to buy a new case. there is a thread on the dp about it. probably from 2 yrs ago or so.

make sure you put all you thrust washers back in the right way, it is critical. have a good set of tools, and some junk screw drivers handy that you can bend it need be to help with the snap rings.

they are not to bad once you get into and do it you'll see how they are. most important is to stay focused and pay attention. work clean. have someone around to help you move and lift the dam thing. you'll lose a ton of fluid through out so have some napkins handy. using macks guide will you will be fine. good luck.

now for removal from truck, have a strong jack, make sure you install the converter all the way.

Joe covered the most important concerns. Many DIY guys have put the thrush washer(s) in backward.

You'll need a big pair of channel locks or a 2? something MM 12 point? socket to turn the motor over via the harmonic balancer bolt to get to all six? converter bolts after you remove the starter for access.. Use the converter bolts supplied with the new TC and be careful NOT to drop a bolt into the bell housing you will need to pull the tranny back out to retrieve.

Going from memory here been awhile for me.

If you have a decent digital camera that can come in handy to take pictures of disassembly for reassembly. Plus you can post them here for our enjoyment and help for others. :thumbsup:

If I think of anything else in the next couple days I'll chime back in.

Back