• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

anti freeze leak

Joey D

Reaction score
My truck is leaking anti freeze from the push type fitting in the t stat cross over. Is there a o ring in there or another solution to this?

YUP there's an "o" ring in there and that is a common issue with these trucks. Most opt to take that whole fitting out of the crossover and get a hose barb with about a 4" section of hose and cut the end off of the aluminum hose so you can slide the new hose on there and connect to the barb tighten the hose clamps and VOILA, no more leak. The fitting can be a problem to get out of the crossover but not always, I got lucky and it came out NO issues. GOOD LUCK FELLA!

One thing to note is to take that fitting CAREFULLY!!!

You need to take off the tubing and use a socket to take it out slowly with a breaker bar. DONOT use box wrench.

One thing to note is to take that fitting CAREFULLY!!!

You need to take off the tubing and use a socket to take it out slowly with a breaker bar. DONOT use box wrench.

And if you can, take off the top of the coolant crossover housing.....It's been said that if it starts to break, (likely) working on it off the engine makes life a little easier.

Also, refer to the Missy technique to remove it......She's had very good results.

I sprayed the crap out of mine for a few days with P.B. Blaster. Then put the 1 1/16 socket on it and it came out real nice and easy.

John

The leak turned out to be the fitting broken at the housing where it threads in. I have a new fitting from the dealer. I use a screw driver to split the broken threaded section in half and pulled the pieces out, I am off to borrow the tap to run through and clean it up nice before putting it back together. I will report on it in a hour or so when I get it done.

YUP there's an "o" ring in there and that is a common issue with these trucks. Most opt to take that whole fitting out of the crossover and get a hose barb with about a 4" section of hose and cut the end off of the aluminum hose so you can slide the new hose on there and connect to the barb tighten the hose clamps and VOILA, no more leak. The fitting can be a problem to get out of the crossover but not always, I got lucky and it came out NO issues. GOOD LUCK FELLA!

I wish I would have found this info long ago - to use a barb fitting. Much simpler and leaks less!

Back