• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

another wheel bearing...

SSduramax

should be workin'...
Reaction score
Well, I have to put on another wheel bearing this weekend. I guess I should have just gone ahead and done both sides a couple months ago...

I guess it will give me something to do and a reason to drink some beer and get my hands greasy again.
:D

the first one (driver side) went out at about 63,000 miles and now the passenger side at 70,000. I thought it felt pretty tight but I guess it was on its last leg :(

Is that normal for them to go out that soon on the new trucks?

I don't know if this is a good thing or not, but, I am getting better at this... :D

I started at 11, stopped for lunch, and finished at 12:30

I tried to order the bearing from gmpartsdirect but they wouldn't ship to me since my credit card address didn't match my shipping address :mad5:. what a pain in the ass. I ended up driving down to the chevy dealer and got one for 325 plus tax. ended up being 75 bucks more expensive than parts direct but I don't like that kind of business if they won't work with you :dita: and I was able to just drive down and pick up the part as soon as I called them. they had some in stock... no waiting.:thumbsup:

I used the DIY by Mcrat again. Thats a great write up. :cheers2:

http://www.dieseltowingresource.com/showthread.php?t=94

Last edited:
the first one was a vibration going down the interstate any time over 60mph. the second one seemed to vibrate all the time. it went from barely loose when I did the first one to an inch of play in about 2 months.

I had my first one go out on me at about 130K miles...changed them both out because i knew it would be a matter of time before I would be in there a second time.

just did tires yesterday, some BF Goodrich all terrains and the truck looks awesome but that is off topic here

anyway i had to do a bearing, truck is at 51,000. he said it was just starting to show signs so i figured i would get it done now while it was in the shop. i only did one.

None yet, knock on wood. Have had both in our suburban done, it makes a growling sound, and if you jack it up, it has play, vs the other one that doesn't.

ok Im at 61,712 and the passenger one is making some strange noises, but only at slow speeds when turned to the Left. its a little sloppy too, it pops a little back and forth.
time to change those. anyone know if a 1 ton 4x4 9900GVWR hub will bolt up to the 3/4 ton 9200GVWR. Or event he 1 ton 12000GVWR hub? will they bolt up to my 3/4 ton? if so, would they be any stronger than 3/4 ton stuff?

sorry for the hijack...

This part made me kinda laugh..

ended up being 75 bucks more expensive than parts direct but I don't like that kind of business if they won't work with you :dita:

I just did my driver's side one at 80k. I noticed a light squeak driving slow down my dirt road one day and knew it was the dang bearing. I didn't have any other symptoms. it had a lot of play when jacked up though. I got a non gm bearing for $210. We'll see how long it lasts. The dealer by me wanted like $450....I laughed at him when he told me that and asked him if that was for 2. :wtf:

I wonder if someone is ever going to come out with a serviceable "non-sealed" front hub assembly, so you could grease the wheel bearings at regular intervals the "Old Fashion" way. I can't see where these "sealed" hubs are any better than the old design. And having to spend $400+ per side every 35K to 80K miles does not seem like an economical/robust design.

Are the front wheel bearings on 4WD trucks considered part of the powertrain that would be covered by the new 100K mile powertrain warranty on 2007+ vehicles?

I'm afraid that unless failed bearing start to cost GM warranty dollars, they will NOT improve the design. :(

ok Im at 61,712 and the passenger one is making some strange noises, but only at slow speeds when turned to the Left. its a little sloppy too, it pops a little back and forth.
time to change those. anyone know if a 1 ton 4x4 9900GVWR hub will bolt up to the 3/4 ton 9200GVWR. Or event he 1 ton 12000GVWR hub? will they bolt up to my 3/4 ton? if so, would they be any stronger than 3/4 ton stuff?

sorry for the hijack...
I believe that the 2500HD and the 3500 hubs are the same.

I don't think they are covered by the warranty. If you put a Solid Front Axle you can get serviceable bearings!!

Don't buy GM wheel bearings. Obviously they suck and are way overpriced. I got an aftermarket one that is supposed to be the premium for about $200. I bet they will last just as long...if not longer than the GM ones.

Bump TTT
I've got a bad hub on the RH side. About 1/2" play top to bottom and it was warm when I got home from 60 mi drive. I noticed a funny feel and growl started on our run home from Co Monday and suspected it. I'll print out Pat's install unless anybody has a better one. Anybody got a good price link for the pair? Might as well do both now and then I'll have a spare from the LF which is still tight. I found this one through a thread at DP.
http://gmc-car-parts.macautoparts.n...5018-Chevrolet-Silverado-HD/ProductInfo.aspx#
They'd want about $30 to ship the pair so it would be $270 to my door.
What do you think?

Back