• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Another tranny

durallymax

Reaction score
No not mine this time.

Finally picked up my buddies 05. It is mostly stock just bobo tuned.

The tranny had a PPE stage IV installed and an ATS 5 star by kilpatrick.

It ripped the flex plate apart a few months ago and I just picked it up on tuesday night.

The dealer had removed everything and found the broken plate. What happened was one of the TC bolts worked loose and the converter must have spun and took the flex plate with it. Strike 1 against the builder.

It also took a chunk out of the flywheel and alsoscuffed up the bellhousing and Turbine Speed Sensorl. Bell housing is salvageable, sensor and flywheel are not.

He wanted me to open it up just to make sure everything was ok and here is what I found.

Which removing the bellhousing I noticed 2 of the bolts were finger tight. Strike 2 against the builder.

I looked at the first C3 friction and it looked fine. Looked at the rest and all were burnt.

I tore into the rear half and founf the C4s to be burnt as well, and also found a torrington bearing that was installed backwards and thus split in half. Strike 3 against the builder.

I then decided to dismantle the C1/C2 assembly and found the C2s to be burnt as well.

In the end it went from replacing a flex plate to a complete rebuild with a cost over $2000.

I talked him into an SCIV minus the converter as ATS warrentied it. It is currently at ATS being redone.

I also had him get all now torrignton bearings since there was a alot of metal floating around.

I have everything dismantled and cleaned up. Just waiting for parts.

I must say though, I dont mind doing this and its getting pretty easy. had the whole thing dismantled in an hour.

mpore later with this mess.

No not mine this time.

Finally picked up my buddies 05. It is mostly stock just bobo tuned.

The tranny had a PPE stage IV installed and an ATS 5 star by kilpatrick.

It ripped the flex plate apart a few months ago and I just picked it up on tuesday night.

The dealer had removed everything and found the broken plate. What happened was one of the TC bolts worked loose and the converter must have spun and took the flex plate with it. Strike 1 against the builder.

It also took a chunk out of the flywheel and alsoscuffed up the bellhousing and Turbine Speed Sensorl. Bell housing is salvageable, sensor and flywheel are not.

He wanted me to open it up just to make sure everything was ok and here is what I found.

Which removing the bellhousing I noticed 2 of the bolts were finger tight. Strike 2 against the builder.

I looked at the first C3 friction and it looked fine. Looked at the rest and all were burnt.

I tore into the rear half and founf the C4s to be burnt as well, and also found a torrington bearing that was installed backwards and thus split in half. Strike 3 against the builder.

I then decided to dismantle the C1/C2 assembly and found the C2s to be burnt as well.

In the end it went from replacing a flex plate to a complete rebuild with a cost over $2000.

I talked him into an SCIV minus the converter as ATS warrentied it. It is currently at ATS being redone.

I also had him get all now torrignton bearings since there was a alot of metal floating around.

I have everything dismantled and cleaned up. Just waiting for parts.

I must say though, I dont mind doing this and its getting pretty easy. had the whole thing dismantled in an hour.

mpore later with this mess.

Want a vacation to Tennessee? :D

you might as well leave your tranny stock from what i see and hear from other guys.

Havent heardo one good thing yet.

roosky, get your kit ordered this one should be off the lift next week depending on when the parts arrive.

suncoast kit just showed up. Ill get as far as I can tonite but I have to wait for all of the new torrignton bearings to show up tomorrow.

Flywheel should be here tonite too so Ill get that and the new flex plate in and torqued down.

also spent a couple hours building my tool for compressing the C1 spring cage last night. its pretty fancy.;

bearings showed up today, turbine speed sensor was in stock at the allison parts counter, but get this, they want 32 bucks for one, the GM dealer wanted 92. hmmm.

Then I found another problem when i popped out the C1 spring cage, a bucnh of the springs were bent for some reason. I know it wasnt me because my toolk distributes even pressure. its only a 5 dollar part but its a factory order only part so it wouldnt be till Thursday when I get it, however i called up merchant again and he had one so ill see it Wednesday.

I decided to get the T case ready for the pump rub kit tonite and im running into some issues, it wont release the tailshaft and the pump. Im taking it to the dealer to see what they find tomorrow.

I decided to get the T case ready for the pump rub kit tonite and im running into some issues, it wont release the tailshaft and the pump. Im taking it to the dealer to see what they find tomorrow.

Did you get the big snapring loose from the shaft?

ya, i goofed and forgot to remove the speed sensor good thing I remember before i headed to the stealer.

Also I should get you guys some pics of his C2 clutches, two of the frictions are just steel no clutch material left.

Back