• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Another tailgater

BudTX

Edjumacated Redneck
Reaction score
I have a 40 mile one-way commute every workday, and drove the Dmax today just to keep it exercised.

There is a 7 mile stretch of road construction where the divided highway goes down to one lane, and the speed limit drops from 70 to 50 mph. I was driving along with the cruise set on 50, when a couple in a minivan zoomed up behind me and rode so close that I could not see their headlights in my rear view mirror.

They stayed that way for about 5 miles, when the left lane opened back up and the 70 mph speed limit resumed.

Just before the lane opened, I clicked the cruise off, let the boost fall to zero, and then rolled the coal. I had the PPE on the 350 setting. :sifone:

I was careful not to do a burnout, keeping just enough throttle to ensure that the black cloud kept pouring out while the minivan idiot tried to swerve around it into the left lane.

Its a pity that he misjudged the wind, which carried the smoke over into his lane. :sifone: He would slow down, as would I, and every time that he tried to accelerate around me I would hit the go pedal and keep him in the smoke cloud. And I mean SMOKE CLOUD.

I finally got tired of the $4.79 a gallon fun and set the cruise on 70. He cautiously passed me, and both the driver and his lady friend looked closely at me and the truck trying to figure out why it was on fire (or whatever they thought was wrong with it). I do not think that it ever dawned on them that the mile long smoke cloud was purely intentional. :smilewinkgrin:

Thats good, expensive, but good. I have had people plenty of times get as close to my back bumper as you had with that minivan. And more times then not, it is on a two lane road like you were on as well. I'm not sure what they plan on doing being that close to not only a truck, but one that would make sure they went straight under if you were to hit the brakes.

HAHA.. I love it. I have my PPE on 90 so I don't leave a cloud...but the ol 4" Straight will leave there ears ringing when I keep'em at the back fender!

Nice. That's one thing I miss with my 02....................5" exhaust and a bastard stack (2 things I guess). All the smoke one could dream of. The looks you get are priceless.

While I find it rewarding too, the next time I am at the pump I find myself telling myself to cut it out :)

bud, that story made me laugh. 350 setting?? i take it your trans had been supportive of this whole escapade.... :p ....

i read this and wish i could turn mine up.... same reasons.... :D

nice smokeout....

Ah hell, it's worth the couple of extra $'s to see the look on their faces! For Instance.... I was on my way home from work the other night. It was about 1:30 am, just outside of Craig, CO when me and my co worker (he's following me in his 05 Dmax) come upon a truck driving about 45 in a 65. The road finally opens up to pass. I hit T/H and gun it. The dude was driving a mid 80's toyota truck with his window halfway down with a cig. glowing. My buddy calls me after he gets around this guy and says he had to hit the brakes because I scared the **** out of the guy so bad he started swerving taking up damn near both lanes and about lost it in the ditch! I guess he was half asleep or drunk. I saw headlights going all over the road just as I got passed him and I was like WTF. I figure it was the least I could do to keep him awake haha!

I keep a trailer hitch installed to absorb shock and rear end collisions. One day a jerk slid into me when I stopped on a light. It was wet. I got out and looked at his 1/2 ton pu and the bumper and grill were a mess with a vee in them. No damage not a scratch. I drove off after I asked if he was alright.

I that to say this. My hitch stays in my frame hitch and if I get a tailgater I have been known to slam on the brakes and watch their nose dive just before I accelerate. I have also turned off the cruise or let off the accelerator and start slowing down and one time I came to a complete stop in the hammer lane. The other lane was full of traffic and the jerk couldn't move. I sit there for about 30 seconds and took off at full throttle after he finally was able to change lanes.

What I do is determined by the traffic situation. If I can get along side a truck or other vehicle I will slow down and ride along where they a blocked.

Tailgating is the one thing that pisses me off more than anything else. In a dually when the head lights cannot be seen thru a vent tailgate they are way to close. I really like to screw with the big shot BMW and Mercedes drivers that think we are suppose to get out of their way.

Have you ever noticed which vehicles are driving the fastest on the highway. It is minivans and they are often loaded with kids. Truckers will tell you that also. Why in the hell would parents drive 80 + mph with their kids in the car in all the traffic on the highways. It just blows my mind how callus they are about safety.

While I find it rewarding too, the next time I am at the pump I find myself telling myself to cut it out :)
Yeah, me too, but then I remember just how damn fun it was to do!:ihih:
I keep a trailer hitch installed to absorb shock and rear end collisions. One day a jerk slid into me when I stopped on a light. It was wet. I got out and looked at his 1/2 ton pu and the bumper and grill were a mess with a vee in them. No damage not a scratch. I drove off after I asked if he was alright.

I that to say this. My hitch stays in my frame hitch and if I get a tailgater I have been known to slam on the brakes and watch their nose dive just before I accelerate. I have also turned off the cruise or let off the accelerator and start slowing down and one time I came to a complete stop in the hammer lane. The other lane was full of traffic and the jerk couldn't move. I sit there for about 30 seconds and took off at full throttle after he finally was able to change lanes.

What I do is determined by the traffic situation. If I can get along side a truck or other vehicle I will slow down and ride along where they a blocked.

Tailgating is the one thing that pisses me off more than anything else. In a dually when the head lights cannot be seen thru a vent tailgate they are way to close. I really like to screw with the big shot BMW and Mercedes drivers that think we are suppose to get out of their way.

Have you ever noticed which vehicles are driving the fastest on the highway. It is minivans and they are often loaded with kids. Truckers will tell you that also. Why in the hell would parents drive 80 + mph with their kids in the car in all the traffic on the highways. It just blows my mind how callus they are about safety.

So by keeping the trailer ball in the hitch, that will save your bumper? I have hear a number of people doing this, but was unsure that it actually worked. Would I have to keep my big hitch that I use for towing the camper (about 10" wide with inserts for the wieght disturbution bars) or just my basic hitch I would use to tow anything else? Also how many times a week do you hit your shin on the trailer ball with it left on the truck? That has to be one of the worse feelings in the world when you hit your shin bone at the right angle.:cryin:

I want the Black cloud!

I like your thinking Bud, I have always wanted to lay down a cloud of smoke on th eunsuspecting tailgator. My question is how do I do it with my truck? My truck is stock except for the "hot version" 150hp Edge Juice w/attitude. I have it set on three right now which gives the Dmax some get up and go, but keeps my trans out of trouble. I say all that to say this: teach me how to make black smoke!:sifone:

I love tailgaters. I often say prayers while I am driving so that they will get right up on my a$$. I have mastered the art of dragging the brake just enough that the turbo is loaded, but the truck won't accelerate or downshift. It makes for a smokey mess all over the road. :smilielol5::frown2:

03WIDEMAX:
How to make smoke, put the box as hot as it goes, hit tow/haul, bring the truck down to 55mph, and roll into the pedal, don't mash it, that down shifts and means small cloud with no effect. Just ease into the pedal so you load and over fuel the turbo... wal-al: I give you rollin coal

Last edited:
Yeah, me too, but then I remember just how damn fun it was to do!:ihih:

So by keeping the trailer ball in the hitch, that will save your bumper?
If not save it, it will help a lot. I do the same thing using my stock hitch.

Also how many times a week do you hit your shin on the trailer ball with it left on the truck? That has to be one of the worse feelings in the world when you hit your shin bone at the right angle.:cryin:

I did that twice the first week, but that helped me to learn to walk 'way around the back of the truck. :D

Ah yes, the tailgater's smoke treatment. There are a couple 40 zones were I live that everyone thinks are 55 zones, and when there's someone behind me, they're usually going to ride my tail. As soon as I'm at that 55 sign, I let off o let the turbo spool down, then get on it, and if I do it just right (6.5 is a lot more fussy about smoke than the Duramax, it was designed as a "smokeless" diesel), I can roll coal so thick I can barely see their DRL's or headlights, but as soon as the turbo spools, smoke goes by-by. That's why I need a new, slower spooling turbo.

We have a Smittybuilt Step tube in the back of the wife's Burban. It's about 3" diameter stainless and about 28" long, it mounts into the receiver. There are more than a couple of dents in it, I assume people misjudge in parking lots.

I always thought blowing smoke was stupid. But I'm talking about the people that just blow smoke all the time. I vowed to never set mine up like that. Well, there has been a lot of bicyclers that like to stay 3 feet into the road. I just ordered efi with a dsp5 from Nick. I'm gonna have him build me a smoke tune. But I will use it responsibly.

Back