• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Another Steering Failure with Cognito Braces

The braces are another radius support of the linkage. It doesn't add any torsional support but does make the draglink track true to radius of the pitman/idler arm (as true as the brace tracks). It should not bind if installed correctly. It may increase stress on the OE draglink pitman joint components if the steering box is over turning the draglinks travel and the cognito braces makes the draglink track true and not allowing more give in the fore and aft direction. Or in other words the extra give in the fore and aft direction allows the steering box to travel a little further because the pitman arm can turn a little more due to draglink hole - pitman arm and or idler stud center radius variation due to fore aft flex of the joints at the linkage ends/draglink. I look forward to the video. I think it will show this extra turn stress.

In general its not good to turn and hold force in the full turn lock position this puts components against max rigidity and or in a bind - like between a rock and a hard place.

According to what Nor-cal saw in another box when oversteer from box hits the stops it stresses the pitman stud. Not exactly the same as slop in the box itself. Its saying the box is trying to torque the pitman to turn further than the draglink can travel.

Again differently with Cognito braces the draglink pivot such that it tracks true and will give max draglink travel but just GM joints alone will allow a bit of flex in the draglink/linkage joint at the draglink's travel stops (tires turn travel stops) so the box can oversteer slightly without stressing the pitman arm. Again don't turn to steering wheel lock and hold it; back off just a bit as good driving habit until this is cleared up.

What happened in the other trucks is a failure at the top side of the draglink between the pitman joint and draglink (the upper part of the stud of the pitman flex joint). The joint was actually still intact (which is where the joint movement is or slop).

So I think its important to make sure the steering box is not trying to push past the wheel balljoint pivot limits is the key. Worse case is while turned to the tire locks and steering wheel lock such that the steering box is flexing the pitman arm. Do this with oversized tires and jolts like offroading or simply jolt of curb or bump and the stress on the pitman stud is at the extreme.

The pitman stud is coned and when tightened into the draglink could be condsidered a rigid part of the draglink for analysis (because there is no movement between the 2 at all). If there was any fretting, bruising, discoloring, or any wear indication on the taper connection then that changes analysis. The Cognito tightens from the bottom and might change the exact shear characteristics of the threaded portion of the stud but as long as the taper is locked tight it should be far enough away from the top side not to have any influence on the stud. So the failure appears to be with the stud itself.

I think oversized tires stessed maybe a suspect quality part. Then "bump stops" and how hard you turn against "bump stops" or lock to lock should be looked at closely here. especially with lifted trucks and oversized tires.

I think the cognito braces tighten the joint at the draglink but might add stress at the box and idler body because it will force those components to hold the draglink tight. The box and idler body are still stronger than the stud at the end flex joint and where the weak link appeared on these failures.

Last edited:
This may be somewhat related to my pitman arm's failure. I don't remember what the stop USED to be before I put the Cognito UCA kit on, but now IIRC the sidewall of my tire hits my UCA before the steering hits any of the stops.

With the 4wheeling I do it wouldn't be surprising if a few times the tires were slammed against those UCA's, maybe shocking the pitman arm.

Could this be related? I don't know. Just pointing out that my tires do bottom out against my UCA's.

Another aside... ever since I replaced that pitman arm and re-installed the Cognito PISK, my steering has been a little squirrely. Seems a little bit loose for some reason; I re-checked all the torques (including idler) but it still seems like something's not quite right. I also notice an odd (intermittent) mis-alignment on the highway; I have to turn the wheel ~30-50 degrees to the right to stay going straight.

Related? Again, I have no idea...

I would say the tires rubbing are due to the size of the sire being a 315.

As for it feeling weird driving down the highway I would see what the alignment looks like to see if it may be in the spec's. You can post a copy of the spec sheet.

Back