• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Another problem...

Mezmorized

Reaction score
I'm double posting but I do think this needs it's own thread.

Ok, I replaced the lift pump, had a heck of a time getting the truck started again but it finally did. However, it was still "missing". I'd rev it up a bit and it would kind of go away but still "missing". I let it idle on it's own for a while, the occasion pop in the exhaust then a puff of black smoke. I got back in the truck and revved it again and the SES light came on and the "miss" stopped. I took down the DTC codes and went for a road test. It was ok for the most part, but when I decided to turn around, I shut the truck off to reset the SES light. Started the truck back up, it was "missing" again, put it in gear and it would stall. I tried starting it again and only a few times it did it fire up but would stall right away. Now it cranks but won't start.

The DTC's are:

DTC 18 - Pump Cam Reference Pulse Error
DTC 35 - Injection Pulse Width Error (Time Short)
DTC 54 - PCM fuel circuit error

I'll bet that's going to point to a PCM now ARGH!!!

It won't start anymore! Besides, if it still had air in the system, wouldn't it still run rough even when the SES light came on? It ran nice when the light came on.

If you have anything more than just a tiny bit of air in the fuel the motor will not run. Almost all the air has to be bled out of the line before it will even try to fire. When it does fire it will be rough at first while the last little bit of air is pumped through the IP and out the return line.

Be careful when cranking, it's easy to burn up a starter by overheating it from cranking and not giving it time to cool between tries.

Don

Ok, guys, please don't take this the wrong way but read carefully... The truck runs fine with the SES light ON. Runs like crap with it OFF, and now won't start. What does the SES light have to do with air in the lines??? Air in the lines will cause it to run like a bag of dirt with the SES light ON or OFF.

I'm fairly sure my issue is electrical/electronic and not mechanical.

Sorry, I'm a bit frustrated about all the time and money I'm throwing at this truck and leaving me high and dry like it's been.

Managed to get the truck started again, still doing the same thing, I let it run for a while then I revved it a bit until the SES light came on and it ran fine (but only with the SES light on)

I called a guy I know, ran the scenario by him and read off the codes. He was a GM master tech before he opened his own shop. I've found him to be pretty good at diagnosing. He seems to think that water got into the optic sensor throwing the timing off. That said, the truck was parked for about 7 weeks before the trip I made where it gave me trouble. So I think I will throw some methyl hydrate at it and see what comes of it. I had also filled up at a truck stop away from home, maybe bad fuel too.

I would pull the top of the IP and pull the fuel out with a turkey baster.

How do you plan on using the methyl hydrate?

Drain the fuel from the t-valve to remove water.

I would change the fuel filter first before anything. Clean the bowl while at it, again.

If you want to add, add proper diesel additive with demulsifier.

I got the feeling that there is probably some leaks along the way.

Where is your PMD? are you sure the PMD is good?

Back