• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Another injector replacement

SFC Cobb

Jesus Freak
Reaction score
I have had 4 full sets of injectors replaced, a #1 injector and last week a #2 injector. This in 266,000 miles.

This one did not act like the others when they failed. The engine idled OK until I would let off the brake, like at a light, and let the truck roll a short distance and the engine would get real rough. When I stopped it would smooth out. The same would happen if I just lightly pressed the accelerator without increasing RPM. I finally had it checked after several thousand miles and the #2 balance rate was 9.3. I had very little smoke when starting or accelerating normally. So little that I could not see it buy my son could when he was behind me.

I am not sure what the balance rate press is suppose to be but replacing the injector solved the problem.

This was a $1014.54 bill out my pocket. When the #1 was replaced it was close to $1200. Not sure what the diff is.

I sure hope this is the last one. The last full set was done at 190,527. I intend to drive this truck until I get my moneys worth or it gets to expensive to drive. I hope that is somewhere around 500K. I might get the new truck bug before that though.:eek:16:

you have a few more miles on your truck than I do, I dread the next set if it happens.....Shouldn't the injectors have some sort of warranty on them, even if they were just replaced.....

It has been well know the the LB7 had these injector problems. I have to say EVERY GM vehicle I have ever owned has had injector problems. You may consider the next set to be of aftermarket.

The injectors are warrantied for 7 yrs or 200,000 miles whichever comes first.

I will likely replace them myself from this point on. Labor is the biggest cost.

There are NO aftermarket DMax injectors that I have been able to locate. Many others have asked about them but none are available.

Thats what I have heard, however the newer injectors from GM for LB7 should be better from what I have been told.

Supposedly the last two full sets were the new and improved injectors. I have abut 75K on the last full set (2 of those have been replaced). I hope that using B-20 biodiesel and cooking oil in my fillups will allow these to run until I decide to trade (giveaway is the likely correct term with the miles on it) for a newer one.

This is what I got back from Bosch when I emailed them this question:

Q:"I was curious as to any permanant fixes, design changes, etc that GM and Bosch have instituted to cure the problems associated with ball seat errosioan and cracked injector housings. Has anything been changed in the remanufacturing of those injectors that exhibited these problems? If so, How would tell if you have a new and improved injector? "

A: "Thank you for contacting Robert Bosch, LLC.

Fuel Filter changes were made to reduce the ball seat errosion and changes were made in the housing to prevent cracking. Any new or remanufactured injector has all the changes and updates. "

Not very specific. Any one want to tell them that the filter change does not seem to solve the problem?

And to my follow up question:

Q: "If I received new injectors under GM's policy in April of 2007, did I get injectors with this new housing? It was my understanding that there were some test injectors installed in selected trucks, one that I know of directly, and that these new/revised housing did not hit the dealers until late last year?"

A: "The changes in injector housing were done long before 2007."

It has been well know the the LB7 had these injector problems. I have to say EVERY GM vehicle I have ever owned has had injector problems. You may consider the next set to be of aftermarket.

Sorry about your luck with injectors! Anyway I spoke a while back with a bosch staff person(in person too) about the injectors, I have not had any issues yet but was very curious about the improvments to the injectors. Seems the biggest issues were filtration and lubricity from what I took from the convo. Yes the fuel filters (blue acdelco) are improved and also the material in the ball seat is a lot more resiliant to water and contamination than the previous designs. Anyway from what I took away from it was, extra filtration(or at least using blue acdelco filters and changing frequently) and also a lubricant will prolong the life of any injectors. He was no rep, and it was informal but was good information none the less

i was on ebay earlier today and found a set of "50 HP Injectors" for the duramax. if mine go out and for some odd reason they're not covered, i'm going to get the set from ebay, because they come with a three year unlimited miles warranty at least. i think they were around $1050 or so. that's the only drawback to the LB7 IMHO.

Back