• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Another broken crankshaft - I'm gonna cry.

how long have you had it running? needs to get air out of the fuel system and will rattle a lot until it does

Probably a total of 15 minutes. I played with the timing some this afternoon and could not tell any difference at all. Still starts hard and smokes (white) while trying to start. I replaced all of the glows while the motor was out and even the glow override doesn't seem to help the starting.

Once it does start, it seems to idle just fine. No test drive yet as Napa still didn't get my T-bolt clamps in yet. Could air trapped in the system be causing the hard starting?

Great job and the price was right. It cost me that much for new heads and parts and you got a whole fresh rebuilt engine.

Did you check the IP numbers, to see what size pump it was. You have a spare pump now, just swap the tops, throttle shaft is a little different though.

Took it out for the initial drive this afternoon. It wa a royal pain to get started, but idled fine once it did finally catch and run. The drive home was uneventful except for the haze of gray smoke from the exhaust anytime I was giving it any throttle. I still need to play with the timing a little.

I compared the timing covers from my dead engine and this new one and the timing mark isn't even close to being in the same place. There is probably 2-3 mm difference. I can snap a pic if anyone is interested. EGT's stayed low, but it was 20 degrees and I was being easy on it. I plan on retarding it a mm or so tomorrow and taking a drive.

As far as the numbers on the pump from the "new" engine:
DB2831-5209 12555697 1995-97 HD (Military) - N/A, 1.2 cSt * — —

If that makes any sense to anyone. Would that be an acceptable 6.5 pump?

Thats a big plunger pump, think its the same as the 4911 except for hardened parts for the jp-8 junk fuel(I mean jet fuel), wanna sell it. Just crank it up all the way and have fun. The timing curve maybe a little different and being from a N/A engine it is prolly set @160hp, I used to have a list of IP P/N's but that computer died on me so maybe someone else can tell you exactly what you have.

Thats a big plunger pump, think its the same as the 4911 except for hardened parts for the jp-8 junk fuel(I mean jet fuel), wanna sell it. Just crank it up all the way and have fun. The timing curve maybe a little different and being from a N/A engine it is prolly set @160hp, I used to have a list of IP P/N's but that computer died on me so maybe someone else can tell you exactly what you have.

Werent these pumps to make the engine almost a multi fuel engine?

I better post before power goes out again...Its probably too far adv if EGT is low under load.Those covers recieve their reference mark(indexed) at factory for each motor as TDC stackup is measured.White smoke,high egt is retarded......grey,hard start and a slightly rumpy idle is too far adv.Your just a wrench turn away from getting her finished.Good luck.Call a diesel shop and tell them you need a luminosity probe and you will even pull the glowplug for them.Bet they would do it at fair price

It's done.

Everything is finally finished. Oil leak stopped, injector return line leaks stopped, glow plug gremlin squashed.

I screwed up by putting my 6.5 pan on the 6.2. There was about a 1/4 inch gap at the back of the pan where it goes under the rear cap. The hummer pan that came on the 6.2 wouldn't work because of the front differential. I called 20+ junkyards and nobody had an oil pan for a 6.2.

Hmmm, I have a welder & a grinder. It ain't pretty, but it doesn't leak!
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to everyone who helped out! :D

Attachments

• IMG_4688.JPG
    IMG_4688.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4689.jpg
    IMG_4689.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4692.jpg
    IMG_4692.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 132
No one crawls under the truck to look see, if it doesn't leak it's fine. Leo

Looks like you got the heat cranked up, last year I couldnt get the barn doors closed so I rebuilt my tractor kicking around in about a foot of snow. This year I had to do head gaskets on the jimmy with the front pulled in the building and no heat. I got it done but probably could have finished alot faster with some heat. The worst part is when your fingers get damp and you pick up a -26deg wrench.

Pretty good so far. Boost is turned down to 10 psi max. Power is just about the same. I wish I would have measured the bores.

I notice that is starts "different" when cold. It will start, run for a second or 2, then die. Does this for a couple cycles and then stays running. I rarely plug in, but the glow plug override switch still lets me start when cold.

I am still wondering if it is a little too far advanced. No smoke of any color, so it can't be too far off. Could possible be that the high idle isn't working. Haven't had time to really check it.

Is your lift pump working? May have fuel leaking down overnight, thats what it sounds like. What GP's do you have? Do you have fuel smoke when it dies, maybe GP's are not getting hot enough and cool down to quick causing it to die.

Usually when the advance/high idle aint working they will run real rough, missing and have alot of smoke/raw fuel coming out of the exhaust gradually clearing up as it runs, usually takes 5-15 seconds depending how cold it is to clear up.

Whats your idle rpm set at?

I read the whole thread. I just signed up - came over from the other place seeing how everybody is spending more time over here.

Good stuff and congrats Shawn. Glad to hear it all worked out and the price was right!!!
I hope you get it just right - I know the feeling. Good luck.

Bob

I read the whole thread. I just signed up - came over from the other place seeing how everybody is spending more time over here.

Good stuff and congrats Shawn. Glad to hear it all worked out and the price was right!!!
I hope you get it just right - I know the feeling. Good luck.

Bob

Welcome here Bob!!

Yeah, it's nice to see how this thread went huh?

Back