• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Another Brake Issue

haggus

Reaction score
This truck is killing me I replaced the blown brake line got the park brake light to finally go out. Now I have a new issue I still have brakes but they sink to the floor at every stop light. The pressure is there but fades away when you leave your foot on the brake pedal.

Eventually causing the park brake light to come back on. So back out I go to lift the truck up in the air again I swear this truck wants to be an airplane. I rebleed the brake lines. LR will push out air the whole time with fluid but big pulsating bursts of air in the bleeder tube put a liter through it and still air in the bleeder line.

The other 3 bleed like they are suppose to.

I replaced those wheel cylinders in 2010 there is a new MC new front calipers new brake line from front drivers seat back. I can't see any leaks.
hydroboost was replaced to

I pulled the LR drum lots of shoe left there is only about 20k Km since the rear brakes were done. There is no visible leakage inside the drum nice and dry just the usual brake dust. One more item did a fluid flush and the new fluid got dirty within a week.

Do WC leak internally? how do you know if it is gone. Does it sound like the wheel cylinder I could use some advice otherwise I am just throwing parts at this thing for nothing.

I am really getting ready to donate this POS to a scrap metal drive.

Thanks

Haggus

If its not leaking externally its got to be the wheel cyl.

Sent from my Studio 5.0s using Tapatalk

That is what I was thinking well I guess it is all apart now so I might as well change it while I am in there. I guess both sides if I want to avoid further issues at least for a while.

Hopefully

Well it looks like the ABS Module is toast if you look at it when the brakes are pressed there is what looks to be a bleed valve with a pin in it. The pin is coming out each time the brake is pressed seems to be letting the pressure go.

I am not sure if that is some kind of pressure relief and it is just worn out but it figures the only part that has not been replaced is the one that is causing the problem. So for now it sits because I am not spending 600 for a reman with core.

There are a couple being parted out I will look at them first but, I am getting to the end of line with this truck now and it is very likely to be traded in soon with a bad abs module.

Have a working complete ABS system on our '95 Suburban wreck. PM me if interested.

Finally got this POS figured out. It turns out the brand new MC was FUBAR. I have got to find the receipt and go beat the Lordco parts guy to death with it. Maybe partially my fault they did not have Delco so I bought cardone reman unit.

The truck now has 2 new WC 13.00 ea.
One spare ABS module from a donor 80.00 another new brake line in the rear 6.00.
One hydroboost unit from a pick a part 40.00
I will just say a gallon of dot 3 brake fluid 35.00.
Power steering fluid 25.00
Miscellaneous rags, brake cleaner, degreaser, and grease 30.00.
Let us not forget the POS MC from cardone 85.00.

Hours of my time? Since the original post was 3 weeks ago I am guessing 20 hours

Equals 327.00 (not paying myself but if I could it would be about 1000.00)

The brake pedal is probably tighter than it has ever been. Now I need to get rid of this truck and buy something that isn't breaking on me every time I drive up to the ski hill.

I am pretty sure my 10 yr old summed it up the best " Dad when I grow up if I have a truck that I have to work on as much as this one I am just going to sell it and get a better one".

The Napa Master Cylinder that was put on my 96 Suburban only lasted 2 years. It was supposed to have a limited lifetime warranty. I would not have OK'd that master Cylinder to be used if I had been asked.
Then when I was having issues with the 1994 this winter the Suburban was taken to a shop and the mechanic said the master cylinder was bad and he would replace it with an AC Delco. When I picked it up, he had used another Napa. He probably got the replacement from the local Napa.

There were a few other issues with the work they did. Put a new tire on the gray spare rim - that was actually from the 24' trailer I have for sale, Didn't mount the spare in the back of the Suburban, the brakes were spongy when I got the Suburban back. It had a caliper hanging.

I have seen a lot of bad - new parts in the past several years. I had a new whel cylinder go bad after only a few months. Not sure of the brand

I try to stick with GM or AC Delco parts. My theory is that if the original lasted 200,000 miles or more then that is what I want out of the replacement. I don't care if it costs more if I do not have to change that part 5 more time in the next 200,000 miles. I really do not like working on the vehicles enough to go cheap on parts so I have to work on them more.

I do go cheap on parts on occasion. Mostly when I feel in a bind for time and do not feel I have time to wait for and AC Delco part to be shipped. I have never found anyplace where I can just drive to and pick up AC Delco parts. You'd think there would be a distribution center in the Crooked County land area.

Usually I end up being wrong about having been able to wait for the part. Sometimes I should just force myself to be patient. Problem being we never have one vehicle down at a time. It's always 2 which puts us in a bind. We'll go a year without an issue and then 2 will break down the week before Xmas. LOL

Took the truck for a burn. Brakes are working well again as they should. So now I have a spare hydroboost and ABS module. I should have one more brake line to replace in the rear at some point in the future might just do it before my next ski trip.

Truck is running good but as my family is getter older and bigger I think a crew cab is going to be required. The extended cab is nice and fits them well. It was the reason I wanted a Chev EC because this year of truck seemed to the largest out of the big 3.

I am still pissed that the fault was with a new part. However that only compounded the problem. Troubleshooting multiple failures is always difficult.

Anyway I have a truck again so for now all is good.

NEVER EVER buy a rebuilt master cylinder, I wish this was at the top of every brake forum in big red letters.

Glad you finally figured it out. For brake lines, they make ones now that are soft so you can bend without springs/tools and don't rust out anymore.

NEVER EVER buy a rebuilt master cylinder, I wish this was at the top of every brake forum in big red letters.

Glad you finally figured it out. For brake lines, they make ones now that are soft so you can bend without springs/tools and don't rust out anymore.

Absolutely when the guy brought it out and I asked for a Delco he said " this is the only one we have right now I have to order in the Delco from Vancouver" my answer should have been yes order one from Van but an MC change is quick why wait a day for the part.

Even worse I could have one from Rock Auto and had it delivered in less time than it took to figure the reman was FUBAR.

Well lesson learned I am still really angry at the failure. I will refuse any reman parts from cardone ever again.

Absolutely when the guy brought it out and I asked for a Delco he said " this is the only one we have right now I have to order in the Delco from Vancouver" my answer should have been yes order one from Van but an MC change is quick why wait a day for the part.

Even worse I could have one from Rock Auto and had it delivered in less time than it took to figure the reman was FUBAR.

Well lesson learned I am still really angry at the failure. I will refuse any reman parts from cardone ever again.

Actually, nothing wrong with most Cardone parts, its what I use at the shop but I just refuse to use any reman MC from any brand.

Actually, nothing wrong with most Cardone parts, its what I use at the shop but I just refuse to use any reman MC from any brand.

New or reman where is the QC if you reman something do you not measure tolerances to see if they are in spec. If you just tear one down replace the springs and seals and sell it then in my opinion you are doing it wrong.

The new cardone stuff might be ok but I will not purchase that brand ever again.

New or reman where is the QC if you reman something do you not measure tolerances to see if they are in spec. If you just tear one down replace the springs and seals and sell it then in my opinion you are doing it wrong.

The new cardone stuff might be ok but I will not purchase that brand ever again.

Your missing the point, ANY rebuilt MC will fail, by any brand or rebuilder. Its not a matter of which one but how fast. It should be against the law but cheap people still clammer for it. :mad2:

Your missing the point, ANY rebuilt MC will fail, by any brand or rebuilder. Its not a matter of which one but how fast. It should be against the law but cheap people still clammer for it. :mad2:

It wasn't that cheap priced but it was a POS.

My point is if it smells, looks and tastes like a turd good chance it is a turd. Less failures with Delco than any other brand speaks to the quality you get when purchasing.

I agree it should be illegal to sell crap on the marketplace but I am at fault for not waiting for the part from Van. Anyway I have purchased enough stuff from Lordco and returned stuff to them they have good customer service and for the most instances good parts. Just avoid the non OEM stuff and you are fine.

Back