• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Another 6.5 rebuild...

I am guessing the main web cracked bad enough to let the bolt loose. Nominating you for the carnage thread winner!

Impressive the build you did to this truck! Seriously, WOW! :woot:

I don't mean to discourage you, but, a conversation with your insurance company for classic insurance, declared value, etc. is in order before dropping 3X the value of this truck into it. With a good paint job you should be able to get classic insurance. That held us back from getting classic ins on Patch and one of many reason's I gave up on it.

"The airbag going off in my face was my first clue of a problem!" says the inattentive driver that a$$holed my family's 2002 Yukon recently. Of course their insurance wants to total it and hand us a salvage title. We got our insurance involved and are getting it fixed. It's irrelevant we just put it's book value into a complete front end rebuild with new P/S pump plus diff rebuild. (90 days after repairs is all you get for consideration.) The disability mods were over the vehicle book value, however, allowed it to squeak by to be fixed: not totaled. $2000 in repairs to the frame alone. Their POS Kia ate the hitch and didn't move no more. :banghead:

Unlike the "beater" pickup Patch it was in pristine condition with new paint a few years ago.

I am guessing the main web cracked bad enough to let the bolt loose. Nominating you for the carnage thread winner!

Impressive the build you did to this truck! Seriously, WOW! :woot:

I don't mean to discourage you, but, a conversation with your insurance company for classic insurance, declared value, etc. is in order before dropping 3X the value of this truck into it. With a good paint job you should be able to get classic insurance. That held us back from getting classic ins on Patch and one of many reason's I gave up on it.

"The airbag going off in my face was my first clue of a problem!" says the inattentive driver that a$$holed my family's 2002 Yukon recently. Of course their insurance wants to total it and hand us a salvage title. We got our insurance involved and are getting it fixed. It's irrelevant we just put it's book value into a complete front end rebuild with new P/S pump plus diff rebuild. (90 days after repairs is all you get for consideration.) The disability mods were over the vehicle book value, however, allowed it to squeak by to be fixed: not totaled. $2000 in repairs to the frame alone. Their POS Kia ate the hitch and didn't move no more. :banghead:

Unlike the "beater" pickup Patch it was in pristine condition with new paint a few years ago.
Cracked web and loose is good enough for winner? I thought I had to do more like, oh I dunno, send a rod through the side of the block burn some holes in pistons? :D
I haven't done anything to the truck since spring except make up a wish list, been way too busy between work and house renovation to do anything with vehicle projects... except when the 'Burb needed a rear differential rebuild, oh and then there was the "clunk" in the '02 GMC driveline right after the 'Burb pinion bearings ground themselves into filings. Literally I pulled the Suburban out of the barn on a Friday night, the very next Friday night the '02 was in and I pulled the rear cover off and found out why the G80 should be renamed the J80 (J for Junk). Ordered parts, then replaced windows and siding on the house during the day and rebuilding driveline by night. My old dually has been pushed off to the side and covered with a tarp like a body at a crime scene. Right now I am just working to get my exterior on the house finished before snow and cold sets in.
I pulled the oil pan off because local srcap yard wants them removed when you bring blocks in. I need room in the barn for some winter projects and needed to make space. have not come to decision on what to do with the truck. Keeping with 6.2 / 6.5 platform as was mentioned earlier is easier although expensive.
Cummins conversions are being done everywhere, only need to beat the firewall in and lift the body 3 inches, don't like either of these ideas either.
I just found an '06 van with Duramax complete with dash, wiring, PCM, everything need for the swap for $2k. Don't know if it's an early '06 or later '06. Haven't got time to look at it now. Prolly be gone by time I have time to go check it out. Or I'll wait til spring and go get something newer.

Sorry to hear about your Tahoe. Idiot drivers are everywhere these days. I get paranoid driving either of my personal vehicles into any major traffic.

Aw hell, super glue that thing back together and you’ll get another 100,000 miles out of it. JB WELD it and it’ll get you 200,000.

I think that’s the worst web crack that I’ve seen on here since I’ve been a member. I think This qualifies you for the 6.5 carnage thread.

@razur65 The fine line is walking dead Zombie engines in the carnage thread. Completely blown, but, still running.

A main bolt in the oil pan, still, wow.

Prolly would a been an on-road catastrophe eventually. It was a running, driving truck when I pulled the heads in February looking for the source of the coolant loss... had it not been for pulling the heads I would have driven it all summer. Wouldn't have towed heavy or far with it though, which is primarily why I pulled the heads, needed it for towing. Everything happens for a reason, I'll have to wait and see what happens next, eventually...

I admit, I did mistake the pulley damper for the real thing... was replaced in 2014 and now all cracked up again.

The numbers definitely make the point of spending money on a P400 smarter.

I've got time on my side (I think..) so I'll push this off to the side of the barn and throw a tarp over it for now.
I can locate a decent donor truck and work on re-powering the dually. Was thinking about selling it but won't get anything for it and besides, I've got a great frame, body, interior because I made it that way.
Cummins and Duramax powered trucks with rotted frames or wrecked come up on CL occasionally, just a matter of getting lucky and having the cash at the time I find one.

If you want to stick with the 6.5 platform and can get your hands on a P400, it's the best way to go if longevity is your priority. My build thread is way overdue, but I had some serious work done by Chris to a crate P400 and expect this engine to last me a long long time...

I was wondering who’s P400 that was in the pictures that was posted a while back. Yes that engine should last a very long time with all the coatings and stuff he did to it. I’m ready and anxious for the build thread.

I just looked at your signature and seen the details. Should be a rock solid power horse.

Back