• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Alternator Pulley Size

Badaxe

Reaction score
So as I'm leaving the neighborhood to go see my brand new grandson(born an hour before) I hear and feel a large clunk in the front left corner. The steering goes away and as I'm making the u-turn realize that the brakes are gone too. After limping it back to the house I pop the hood to find the alternator sitting on top of my steering pump. Turns out the bracket off the rear of the tension pulley snapped which in turn completely tore off the large ear of the alternator. So the bracket has been repaired and the alternator replaced. My question is..........how big is your alternator pulley? The pulley on the alternator it came with is 2" across(possibly an HO alternator he had several TVs and a sound system) it died and I replaced it with the now broken one/ new one that came with a 2.5" pulley. Thing is I've got to really work the tension pulley to get the belt on. All replacement parts are for the "6.5 application". I'm sure I'm stringing it the right way and know that a longer belt would work, but is it a pulley issue? Obviously the smaller pulley will spin the alternator faster but what damage might ensue?

Back