• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Also a FNG from AZ 1ton w/ 82 CHEVY CC 6.2 Diesel w/ manual trans WHAT TO DO with IT

just-j

Reaction score
Hello Everyone

I recently came across this site !!! Looks to be a GOOD resource of info.

I've been going back and forth on Engine combo.

5.9 Cummins/ Nv4500/NV5600 trans.
Then you deal with the extra wt. mounts, fab, 2WD issues etc....

OR

6.2/6.5 HYBRID TURBO w NV4500 trans.

Marine 18CR pistons
Not sure on head choices 6.2 or 6.5 ?

Delta Cam 206 ?

marine inj ?

I think I want 92 6.5 Mechanical pump. Maybe keep the 6.2 pump ??

Banks turbo set-up cause the truck has AC. ?

So, there you have it.

I would to use this truck for semi-serious towing cars,truck, equipment etc..

I can get both engine combo relatively cheap..... but would need to be gone thru-- rebuilt.

I would love to do the 5.9 ..... but from what I've read..... really no real mount set-up for a 2WD that are well built and safe ...that I know of ??

Any thought, suggestions tips of the day ..... Would be great !!!

Thanks for looking.

Take Care. :hello:

DSCN2178.jpg

Welcome to TTS

Lots of 6.2/6.5 hybrids on here, I would stick to stock comp.

Freakin' awesome truck.

If you don't do much towing in the hills, just smack a turbo in the 6.2 and get yourself a DB24911 Injection Pump.

If you push it hard, may get a full compliment of gauges.

The cooling systems in these older rigs are very capable in stock form.

A Cummins would work too but then you'd have a different set of issues to contend with.

Welcome to TTS.

Good morning ALL !!!

Thanks for all the Welcomes !!!!

I think that I will be going with the 6.5 mechanical pump with a turbo.

Hopefully, I'll be picking up the 6.5 next week.

I have a local guy that will looking at getting me some Marine pistons PN 027070HA that are 18.5.CR hopefully they will be reasonable.

That's about it for now....

Again, thanks for all the Welcome !!! :hello:

Welcome!

The economy of the 6.2/6.5 turbo simply sucks towing and the harder you load the engine the worse the MPG gets. Your economy is from the high compression of this engine although I don't know if 18-1 with a turbo is the same MPG.

I do know there is little difference within the limits of a GMX turbo between a 6.2 and a 6.5 pump. Both can deliver more fuel than the turbo can supply air for. There is a small difference of 3 MPH due to precups at WOT around 65 MPH pulling a trailer on the hills around here. MPG is the same for 6.2/6.5 and stays the same if you turn up the fuel and boost without smoke. Your top speed pulling will change +10 MPH from 33 MPH to 43 MPH to Payson. 7.5 MPG with a 24' trailer to Payson more or less WOT and below the speed limit most of the time and 11 MPG to flat areas west of us around 62-65 MPH in the 75 MPH zones.

There is a lot more potential in a heavy duty Cummings for the hard work you wish to do vs. the light heavy duty 6.5. After you turn up the Cummings the 43 MPH hill climbs go away where time is money. The number of engines I have gone through attempting to work a 6.5 hard towing out here and esp the fuel economy difference is enough to make your bottom line red vs. green. The rest of the old truck will have to be rebuilt anyway GM or Dodge - why rebuild the engine too?

If you do go with a 6.2/6.5 towing the A-Team will get you close to the MPG of a Cummings in hills although slower. Fuel cost is 50% or more of your budget and a deal is to be had with REV Biodiesel out here at a price advantage. Figure a 10% loss of MPG for B99 and they are still cheaper to use at this time. Also figure a 10% loss of power with B99.

Much as I love GM, the 1993 has been more expensive in parts than a $700+ payment on a Duramax towing 560+ miles a day. I suggest another newer platform for better profit potential for hot shot towing out here.

Back