• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Allison torque converter

If I remember correctly, you could buy a nice aftermarket one cheaper than a new OEM converter. I couldn't find a price on GM parts direct.

My trans seems to be slipping a little. I am not sure if clutches or torque converter is the issue. I can kinda hear/feel it and the shifting is not as firm as it use to be. My son and I compared RPM's at given speeds and mine seem to always be a little higher. Like 200 RPM at 65 MPH.

Which aftermarket torq conv are you referring to?

When was the last time the tranny was serviced? How long ago was the spin on changed? With almost 300K on the clock if you gonna back the tranny off for a converter, it might be worth it to go through the trans so your all set for another 300K.

The trans has been serviced on schedule including pan removal and internal filter replacement. If I go it it will be a torque converter and clutches.

My trans seems to be slipping a little. I am not sure if clutches or torque converter is the issue. I can kinda hear/feel it and the shifting is not as firm as it use to be. My son and I compared RPM's at given speeds and mine seem to always be a little higher. Like 200 RPM at 65 MPH.

Which aftermarket torq conv are you referring to?

You can get a Precision Industries or a Suncoast for around $1200, probably a little cheaper.

I believe TRANSTAR makes a stage 1 upgrade kit for the ALLISON 1000 for about $1200-1300 that includes clutches, steels, seals, and a HD single disc converter. Throw in a TRANSGO kit for $250 while you're in it and she should last you a long time again with some cushion for added HP.

Back