• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Aisin 09D 6spd Transmission

SuperTuscan

A(ACLU) # 12
Reaction score
I'm looking for a some information on this transmission and wondering if anyone can help me out. I stuck the request here because I thought it was the closest match.

First, here is some background info on the transmission in question. Basically, it is the 6spd auto found in the Touareg V10. It carries the Aisin part# TR-60SN with an EXG gearbox code. Volkswagen refers to this transmission as the 09D and it can also be found in the Audi Q7 and the Porsche Cayenne.

I read a couple interesting posts about other Aisin transmissions, the first related to plastic stator wheels and the second related to CRD and Hemi applications.

What I am interested in is if there are any similarities between these transmissions and if there are aftermarket solutions available to address some of the symptoms I'm experiencing with my transmission.

Some of the symptoms I am seeing on my Touareg w/35,000mi include harsh TCC locks and unlocks, extended 3rd gear shifts and what feels like occasional slipping between 3rd and 4th. I think I've pinpointed it to a solenoid or two in the valve body. Unfortunately, the dealership doesn't share my enthusiasm with tracking down shifting issues when they can't replicate the issue at hand. This also has to do with the relative rarity of the V10 and many appear unfimiliar with the driving characteristics of the V10. In other words, if the dealership doesn't see a code, then it's working like it is supposed to.

So, if anyone has any info, either general or specific, or if there is a resource that could help me figure this out, I would be greatly appreciative.

I'm looking for a some information on this transmission and wondering if anyone can help me out. I stuck the request here because I thought it was the closest match.

First, here is some background info on the transmission in question. Basically, it is the 6spd auto found in the Touareg V10. It carries the Aisin part# TR-60SN with an EXG gearbox code. Volkswagen refers to this transmission as the 09D and it can also be found in the Audi Q7 and the Porsche Cayenne.

I read a couple interesting posts about other Aisin transmissions, the first related to plastic stator wheels and the second related to CRD and Hemi applications.

What I am interested in is if there are any similarities between these transmissions and if there are aftermarket solutions available to address some of the symptoms I'm experiencing with my transmission.

Some of the symptoms I am seeing on my Touareg w/35,000mi include harsh TCC locks and unlocks, extended 3rd gear shifts and what feels like occasional slipping between 3rd and 4th. I think I've pinpointed it to a solenoid or two in the valve body. Unfortunately, the dealership doesn't share my enthusiasm with tracking down shifting issues when they can't replicate the issue at hand. This also has to do with the relative rarity of the V10 and many appear unfimiliar with the driving characteristics of the V10. In other words, if the dealership doesn't see a code, then it's working like it is supposed to.

So, if anyone has any info, either general or specific, or if there is a resource that could help me figure this out, I would be greatly appreciative.

I would visit the dealership and see if a relearn on the trans adapts wouldn't help this situation. I have a feeling that Aisin is not as close as they would like to be as far as having this unit dialed in.

Prior to this point, the trans shifted like a ratchet - it just clicked throught the gears and it was very smooth. It always seemed to be in the right gear at the right time and I never felt the TCC lock or unlock. It progressively got worse around the 25,000 - 30,000 mile mark.

They flashed the TCM code to VW's latest version in an attempt to resolve the issue but it didn't address the symptoms. The flash supposedly reset the learn history.

Since it isn't throwing a code I'm guessing it may be a sticking solenoid that isn't accurately executing the commands of the TCU. Also, some others have found damaged internal wiring harnesses in the Touareg that introduced signal noise between the actuators, sensors and TCU.

Is there a way of testing the solenoids without having to pull the valve body off and testing the components individually? I also have a vag-com, a type of VW OBD diagnostic tool, that I plan on using to capture sensor data and see if there's anything strange going on.

Back