• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

AirRide Suspension Idea

dur0maxx

Is Blowin Soot On A Prius
Reaction score
Was thinking about how to get a smoother ride out of the truck and came up with this. I think it would work. It's a crude drawing but I'm sure you get the idea. I know there are other stuff out there like salastic, timbrens, etc, I'm just trying to think outside the box. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• Air Spring.JPG
    Air Spring.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 36
That would be hard on the bag because of how it will flex at the end of the spring. Might work but seems like it would be a lot of changing for how much it will help. Dunno.
If you want to retain the springs and still use air then get air bags over the axle and run them with a little air to hold the truck off the overloads. Then it will ride on the bags but still have the springs to locate the axle. Or do away with the springs entirely and make a 4-link with airbags. The 4 link bars will prevent any axle hop which will be nice.

I would really like to do a 4-link, I however only have a flux-wire welder and on top of that I am still learning on. I want the truck to ride good but still be able to haul a load from time to time.

If that is the case, try to copy a Peterbilt Air Trac suspension. it is simple, and as long as you have a leveling valve, it will adjust pressure for you.

I would think that you could have arms that go in the front spring mount and come back behind the axle, where the bags are. this would just be a pickup design based on the Pete suspension.

PS accurate color choice for many of our frames!

Kelderman has something like that. Great idea just alot of brackets. Anyway to brake the heavy spring weight while not towing and still have it when you are is the key to these trucks or any 3/4 or 1ton truck.

They did something VERY similar to that on Truck U on SPEED on a 99 F350 w/ F550 springs. It looked like a good idea. You just have to be sure that you have a bump stop in case the bag ever deflates.

They did something VERY similar to that on Truck U on SPEED on a 99 F350 w/ F550 springs. It looked like a good idea. You just have to be sure that you have a bump stop in case the bag ever deflates.

I used bags with internal bump stops, that way I didn't have to worry about it. Speaking from experience it is very much worth the trouble for the air ride, the ride qaulity is great and it will compensate for any load you throw at it.

there was a kit made by firestone or Airlift that took out the leafs and ran a 2 link w. the bag mounted just behind the axle, then there was a panhard bar that kept the rear centered. my boss has it on his 01 and loves it.

Back