• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Air dog relay

dentpusha

LOCKED&LOADED
Reaction score
I think the bosch relay on my airdog went out this morning and I keep having problems with other types of relays that I have here at the shop.Main problem is the pump getting power without key on.tried swapping the female end and then the relays wont get the pump going at all.I always thought relays were relays,is there any reason the bosch would differ from others?

Nope as long as it's a 5-Pin Relay like the one in the Pic, any Brand will Work.

Attachments

• f.jpg
    f.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 2
check you wiring again, i noticed when i had my battery issues a while back when doing a draw test every time i would disconnect the negative cable on the pass battery it would activate the pump. i have the bigger black wire hooked right to the battery for ground. it always seemed odd to me. i never looked into it though.

That what I thought but how am I getting straight power to the pump when I try the others?I must be missing something simple.

also wondering why my truck wont run without my lift pump working?It actually died pulling out of a drive threw this morning and threw a 0087 code.I primmed it and it made it back to the shop.Truck wont start without airdog pump working,if it does it wont last long.weak cp3?

Last edited:
also wondering why my truck wont run without my lift pump working?It actually died pulling out of a drive threw this morning and threw a 0087 code.I primmed it and it made it back to the shop.Truck wont start without airdog pump working,if it does it wont last long.weak cp3?

Have you replaced the AirDog filter? It's either restriction in the filter(s), or your getting air in the system. If it was a weak CP3, I would think it would at least let you out of the driveway.

Have you replaced the AirDog filter? It's either restriction in the filter(s), or your getting air in the system. If it was a weak CP3, I would think it would at least let you out of the driveway.

I still havnt replaced either of the filters and they got about 22k on them.I have a fuel pressure guage and it reads around 5000 psi @idle...its kinda hard to watch it at wot

I can definitely help you out on this. MAd Maxx is correct. I got a replacement one for mine at Advance Auto. I'd have to look around in my garage. I think I saved the box. I personally think the relays they use are not heavy enough. I have burned up a few of them to the point where I carry a jumper wire with me to bypass the relay. I am considering rewiring mine to a regular Continuos use Soleniod similar to the ones Meyers uses on the plow pumps. I know years ago a Standard Ign products ss556 or 586 was the part # but I would probably have to start from scratch now. Also the Batt terminals need to be spotlessly clean or you will get resistance and voltage drop. My Raptor(airdog - the filtration) was getting about 4 volts to it tahnks to a bad wiring job from the scumbags at Lee's Auto Ranch in Ellington CT. I was convinced that might have also caused the first sol to burn up but I am on #4 now. The Raptor uses the same relay as the Airdog. Do yourself a favor and figure out which terminals to jump amd carry a jumper wire with you.

Got the pump working last night but frp seems a little lower than normal and not as steady.Also after looking at my records I actually have 27k on both of the airdog filters...deff time to change them.

Stacks what did that airdog rep tell you about the way these airdogs sound(not steady)?I saw you ask the question but I dont think I ever saw a answer.

If the LP sounds weak or not steady it may be voltage loss. Trust me on that. Put a meter on it while it's running at the LP. That was how I found my problem and that is exactly what mine was doing. running erratic and inconsistent. It needs solid steady power. MY CUCV is having some alt issues and I can hear the difference in the LP from when I first start it to when the 2nd alt finally comes to life. Bad connections, or a burned relay can cause all of it. Try jumping out the relay and see if you have a difference. See the size of the motor on this thing ? It draws ALOT of power.

If the LP sounds weak or not steady it may be voltage loss. Trust me on that. Put a meter on it while it's running at the LP. That was how I found my problem and that is exactly what mine was doing. running erratic and inconsistent. It needs solid steady power. MY CUCV is having some alt issues and I can hear the difference in the LP from when I first start it to when the 2nd alt finally comes to life. Bad connections, or a burned relay can cause all of it. Try jumping out the relay and see if you have a difference. See the size of the motor on this thing ? It draws ALOT of power.

I jumped it to make sure the pump was still working yesterday and it still and has always sounded like it was cutting out.My frp guage deff stays steady when the pump is running.I cant find my volt meter and I cant get my hands on a tech 2 till monday.Im really wanting to see what the frp is before and after the airdog filter change.I just cant trust these isspro PERFORMAX guages.

Got the pump working last night but frp seems a little lower than normal and not as steady.Also after looking at my records I actually have 27k on both of the airdog filters...deff time to change them.

Stacks what did that airdog rep tell you about the way these airdogs sound(not steady)?I saw you ask the question but I dont think I ever saw a answer.

i never got an answer. i know mine is getting really noisey. some days i dont here a thing, then some days it is loud as hell. i need to get a gauge to check for sure to see what pressure i am running. there are days i can hear it over my radio. i dont think its normal.

Well after messing around with it this weekend I was able to get the pump to run smoother after playing with my relay.This pump has ran like since I installed it almost 2 years ago..Thought thats just how they sounded.I still havnt hooked my volt meter up but the pump doesnt sound like its cutting on and off.Truck seems to start a little quicker but thats prolly just me.I think I still need to rerun all of the wires and clean up some of my connections here and there.
Unless its just dirty aidog filters Im still kinda confused on why my truck wasnt running with out the pump.I just changed my fuel filter 3 weeks 700 miles ago.

Thanks for the input guys.

Back