• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Aftermath of an 11pm phonecall....

88gmctruck

02GMCtruck
Reaction score
Pictures don't do the amount of mud justice.....

P1080685.jpg

P1080686.jpg

P1080687.jpg

P1080688.jpg

There is about 2" thick mud on the rockers and in the wheelwells, about 4" under the rockers and both bumpers were packed. This was not ordinary mud, it's more of a clay too. It took about 2-hours to get the majority of it off from under the truck.

So, Ya wanna know why?

So, last night there I was, sleeping. I got a phone call from Brandon (07HDClassic), saying that Devin (83GMCK2500) was stuck almost in a ditch and needed pulled out. Brandon was driving his Cherokee and couldn't pull Devin's truck out since a CCLB Duramax is quite heavier against a Cherokee with bald a/t's. Anyway I get there and the road is about 4" of clay slop, quite fun. Had no problems pulling him out, got the truck rather dirty as you can see.....

Once again, my truck made me happy. The tires did awesome and cleaned out well, and had no trouble getting Devin out of the ditch.

Yeah, just wish it wasn't such an unexpected thing! That is exactily what the shackles up front are for, I love them.

i know what WA mud can be like and it only took 2hrs to get her clean. must of been one damn good pressure washer!!!!!!

I remember getting those type of calls at night. Anywhere from 8pm to 4am i would get calls to pull someone. I see your smart enough to use shackles and straps. Keep an eye on your straps and clean them well. The mud will dry inside the strap and slowly cut the fibers and you will never see it. Always put some kind of a weight on the strap in case it breaks. I use 4" straps now and the shackles use a 1.5" pin and let me tell yah, when one of those straps break you have a missile. I had a shackle go flying on the end of a strap and it caved in the guys tailgate, the gate looked like he backed into a tree if that gives any idea of how hard it hit. The old chevy truck hooks like the ones that came on your truck, one good hard yank will straighten the right out. Be safe and good luck.

i know what WA mud can be like and it only took 2hrs to get her clean. must of been one damn good pressure washer!!!!!!

Nope, just the hose and my hand. It's not clean yet, just free of mud.....

Clean mine next? Arent you on GMFS?

Yeah, I'm on GMFS also. Not too many other people from here are on there....

I remember getting those type of calls at night. Anywhere from 8pm to 4am i would get calls to pull someone. I see your smart enough to use shackles and straps. Keep an eye on your straps and clean them well. The mud will dry inside the strap and slowly cut the fibers and you will never see it. Always put some kind of a weight on the strap in case it breaks. I use 4" straps now and the shackles use a 1.5" pin and let me tell yah, when one of those straps break you have a missile. I had a shackle go flying on the end of a strap and it caved in the guys tailgate, the gate looked like he backed into a tree if that gives any idea of how hard it hit. The old chevy truck hooks like the ones that came on your truck, one good hard yank will straighten the right out. Be safe and good luck.

Yeah, overkill is always a good thing when it comes to recovery. I always avoid using two straps with a shackle between them as it's much more dangerous if the strap breaks and sends that shackle flying.

Thank you again Dave. Brandon & I screwed up, we didn't get any pictures of mine before I started cleaning yesterday.

I filled a 5gal bucket with the mud from inner bed sides and rear fenders. I had mud between the cab & bed, on the motor, on my tool box, on my fuel tank (in bed), on the roof...

Gee guys, couldn't resist going out after the rainstorms huh??

:D

:shocked: I don't know what you're talking about...

Yeah, I throw darts on Wednesdays and that didn't go so well, I needed to vent. Lately I've had a particular Brad Paisley song stuck in my head lately so on a whim I went and got that song out of my head. ):h

You didn't get all that rain the other day?? Rained all day here.

I was really wishing I didn't have the factory slicks on my patrol rig today. Moscow mtn road is getting rutted w/ mudholes in spots. I was spinning where I shouldn't have had any problems. Found out how low these new truck sit too. I don't think that plastic air dam is going to last very long. I was using my license plate as a plow a couple times just trying to navigate around a couple washouts.

In my previous life I use to work for a county spraying weeds along ditch banks. Had a '75 Chevy K20 with a 100 gallon tank. Trouble was when a field was being flood irrigated and I wasn't told. Had to get the backhoe a couple times as the truck was sitting on it's frame. The mud in SE Idaho is darn near pure clay. Good for potatoes....bad for pickups.

Awesome....i stopped by a local hole today...well....I went out of my way to go there...been raing for the last 2 days.....it's pretty muddy with deep water holes....clay/sand/rocks (large gravel) all thrown in the mix....I was surprised to see a dozer and dump truck parked near one of the entrances....I guess(ed) correctly that they are trying to smooth the trail out...well the holes were filled in....but no wheres near drivable with anything stock or even a little modified....(so you can imagine what it was like before....I usually stayed out of that part of the trail....but today I tried it thinkin it was gonna be alright......started off fine was relatively level...moderately slippery...then it got bad....seems like other trucks couldn't stay out of there.....all rutted up...etc....needless to say the pedal got stuffed to the floor a few times...until I got to a decent part....then same thing till I got to some rocks(the gravel comes in)...and assessed the area around ne and tried to turn around...cause the area ahead was real bad...at this point I was nervous enough not to go forward anymore....where I stopped was barely adequate to turn around....and I went for it a second time to get back.....first through a sand pit...then into the mud.....I have a winch but the area I was coming to was open....the other parts of the trail had trees...albeit thin pines.....I guess I pushed myself to do it to test my tires in 2WD(yes-I was only two wheel (1 wheel) drive.....and I am not dissappointed......my goodness....when I get the new front shaft and lockers...fuggetaboutit....couldn't take pics..was by myself....Maxxis tires live up to the high multipurose trail rating....they saved my two wheel drive ass (I took measurements for the front shaft...so new one is coming...then I'll go all the way....and videotape it......rant done

Oh no, we had that rain. I think Devin was being a smarty.

I hear you on the low ground clearance in the GMT900 pickup, it's rediculous. My dad's 09 is so low...... doesn't even look like a 4wd IMO.

Brandon, you fail on finding and reading this thread.

Did I enjoy pulling Devin out, yes.
Did I enjoy using my truck since I haven't much this year, yes.

I did not enjoy being the back-up plan (I would have rather been out there trying to get myself stuck)
I still am not enjoying the irritating mess my truck is currently in, because it has yet to be cleaned..... as you know. It irritates me that it was supposed to be cleaned this weekend, and wasn't. I hate it when it's dirty like this..... urg.

Brandon, you fail on finding and reading this thread.

Did I enjoy pulling Devin out, yes.
Did I enjoy using my truck since I haven't much this year, yes.

I did not enjoy being the back-up plan (I would have rather been out there trying to get myself stuck)
I still am not enjoying the irritating mess my truck is currently in, because it has yet to be cleaned..... as you know. It irritates me that it was supposed to be cleaned this weekend, and wasn't. I hate it when it's dirty like this..... urg.

I'm sorry I put to many things on my plate, didn't get to all of it. I have NO plans after work tomorrow, that is to say I'm free to clean.

Well, my truck will most likely be away from the house without a battery, as I'm going to Lewiston tonight.

Last edited:
Hmm, was there this afternoon myself getting chimney repair parts. There was kinda an inversion going on then, Potlatch was smelling a bit stronger than normal. :sick: :Flush: :queasy: :yuck:

):h Bricks? I know it's going to be a good trip when I can smell it at the top of the grade. :nonod:

Back