• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Aftermarket Radiators

Anubis

Being fat sucks
Reaction score
People's Republic of Michiganistan, United Sociali
Is there a Radiator, Aftermarket or otherwise, for the GMT 400, that has a Radiator cap ..... I don't like the bottle ....... hate the bottle ........ Dumb idea ....... placed in an asinine spot ........ I hate not being able to look down inside the radiator ....... also don't like having to remove the top hose to poor coolant into the radiator ........

there was a thread not long ago that had an after market radiator link posted in it for a HD multi core aluminum radiator for the 6.5 ..... for the GMT 400 ...... that appeared to have a radiator cap ...... I hate the recovery tank so much I was looking at my truck contemplating how hard the big user friendly radiator from the square nose trucks would be to retro fit into it .......

In my 97 chevy cummins swap I used a radiator from a 6.2 84 chevy it fit right in.I also measured the radiator in my 92 its the same one, they are brass 4 core, very long and stick a little above the rad support.

so what your saying is ..... a Radiator that is the same size as the junk I pulled from my 91 'Burb would fit in my 94? how high does it stick up and does it clear the hood? ..... what needs to be cut from the grill to make it flow better across it?

why are you still up at 2 am?

The radiator for a 92-93 6.5 has the cap on the radiator and a overflow tank that mounts where the stupid tank with cap mounts. In 3 of my trucks I removed the a/c condenser because the a/c didn't work and cleaned the radiator. Also added the HO water pump. They run much cooler now. AC Delco thermostats only, No others work properly.

Attachments

• IMG_0335_3.jpg
    IMG_0335_3.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0338_6.JPG
    IMG_0338_6.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 21
Good question. I've always wanted to try that swap. I never heard anybody else say they hated the stupid tank so I just kept my mouth shut about it. I thought maybe there was some necessity for it that I didn't know about.

Newer better design with air as a cushion in the system. Older systems depended on the cap working - and they often fail.

The 92-93 uses a different lower hose that doesnt have a hose nipple molded in[half the price of a 94+ lower hose] Only 1 hose to overflow tank. The problem I have with the tank with pressure cap is that you cant see the coolant level. If you can it will spew out on the ground.

The 92-93 uses a different lower hose that doesnt have a hose nipple molded in[half the price of a 94+ lower hose] Only 1 hose to overflow tank. The problem I have with the tank with pressure cap is that you cant see the coolant level. If you can it will spew out on the ground.

yeah see ..... thats my problem with it ........ maybe if it was metal and had a sight glass on it and it was in a more convenient spot .......

for the ease of maintenance and the ability to see down inside the radiator ..... I can carry extra caps ......

anyways mine is broken, the cap is a PIA to get off .... I have to use channel locks....... thought it was the cap, replaced it ...... still have the same problem.......

My wife's Town and Country (may it rot in hell) had a coolant tank and a radiator cap....... 165,XXX miles and never an issue with the cooling system ....... not that it was a good car, but I will give credit where it is due......

I tried to find a lower one but nobody would sell one under 15lbs.

I struggled to find one after I lost mine last month when I replaced my glows and did some other work. NAPA was the only one around to have one and it was even in stock. iirc it was a whopping $5.

I struggled to find one after I lost mine last month when I replaced my glows and did some other work. NAPA was the only one around to have one and it was even in stock. iirc it was a whopping $5.

My grandpa always puts 4 or 6lb caps on his cars, he said it helps keep older cars from having something blow out.

I'd love to see a big older radiator fitted in a 6.5 and see how it cools. Go that route.

Already discussed with Ron Davis. Will not help as we have an airflow problem. Air coming off our radiator is as hot as it is going to get. So we need to move more air first then maybe a bigger radiator could help.

Pressure-less and waterless...
http://www.evanscooling.com/

Wow, Ive never seen that stuff before. I wonder if it works.

Already discussed with Ron Davis. Will not help as we have an airflow problem. Air coming off our radiator is as hot as it is going to get. So we need to move more air first then maybe a bigger radiator could help.

Seems like a hood with a backwards scoop on it would work. It would let more air through the radiator and out the hood instead of being forced under the truck.

Wow, Ive never seen that stuff before. I wonder if it works.

Seems like a hood with a backwards scoop on it would work. It would let more air through the radiator and out the hood instead of being forced under the truck.

a cowl inducted hood would definitely help with air flow, and is planned down the road so to speak (so is a 1 piece flip up front clip)...... so does removing the rubber splash guard from the inner fender...

I think we would be better off with the cooling system mods and a older style radiator from the square nose with a cowl inducted hood.......

Back