• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Aftermarket Engine Oil Cooler Kit......

mfgguru

Makin' it better!
Reaction score
Well, I finally got around to installing my cooler lines and cooler, bought from Dave12, a fellow former 6.5er. What a mess! :eek:I was black from head to toe! I tell you nobody was thinking of servicability when they thought up that system, or at least could have used better fitting and crimpings. Took me about 7 greasy hours to do the job. Granted if I had all the tools on hand, like the 1 1/4 wrench for block fitting, instead of having to run over the neighbors numerous times to get stuff, I could have shaved off an hour or 2.:mad2: I am not so sure about the braided stainless lines. They sure are tought and easy to work with, but seem like what ever they would touch, they would saw right through eventually. Luckily kit came with nice rubberized clamps and I think it's all good.
Note: If you can cut the aluminum off the front of the original hoses and tape the new ones to them and pull them through from the back, that works really well. Saves fishing! (be sure to tape the ends shut to prevent junk from getting in). Anyway, got in at midnight after leak checking and an oil change, had a bath and 2 showers and shampoed my hair 3 times to get all the oil and grease off and went to bed! I am sure many of you have had this experience before, and strangely enough, it feels good!:thumbsup:

Did you remove the front driveshaft and oil filter adaptor ? That may be why you had a hard time if you didn't.

Sure did (that's about the only helpful info on the instructions). I don't think it could be done with out removing that stuff. I should have jacked it up higher than I did. I'm a big guy and it wasn't easy crawling around the floor. If I had put in on a lift, I would have done it in a couple hours. I don't think it could be done with out removing that stuff.

Question: what's out there for oil filter relocation kits. Now I know its easy to remove the stock one, might just be on my list of maybes.

I will be doing this mod on saturday. I will also be doing an oil bipass/relocation. Did you drain the oil before you started? I can't imagine getting that greasy.

I could. Mine was nasty underneath. If you can take it to a local car wash with those wash yourself bays and steam the sh$t out of it first. Also don't even attempt to get the old lines out in one piece. Just cut them with a sawzall. Have plenty of zip ties and rubber hose/wireloom because these things will rub everywhere. That is the downside to using them. They are not bent to neatly go around everything like factory but are much stronger. Just gotta check them everywhere. They will rub the oil dipstick. I put loom around both the dipstick tube and the oil lines.

I will be doing this mod on saturday. I will also be doing an oil bipass/relocation. Did you drain the oil before you started? I can't imagine getting that greasy.

Yes, you drain the oil first. You can get back to us on Sunday and let us know if it's a greasy job or not.:D

Length and everything was good. If I could suggest something, maybe a list of tools needed to do the job and more detailed instructions, maybe step by step or something, just a thought. Other than that, everything worked really well and fit nice.

had a bath and 2 showers and shampoed my hair 3 times to get all the oil and grease off and went to bed! I am sure many of you have had this experience before

Yep been there, done that,,, buy since I've been doing my own Bio, and making liquid soap with the Glycerin,,, If you had about 4 ounces of my soap, you could of taken 1 shower, washed hair and all with the biosoap, and been done, It leaves your skin soft, cuts grease better that ANYTHING!!! and rinse right off with out any funny smell!

maybe next time :D

had a bath and 2 showers and shampoed my hair 3 times to get all the oil and grease off and went to bed! I am sure many of you have had this experience before

Yep been there, done that,,, buy since I've been doing my own Bio, and making liquid soap with the Glycerin,,, If you had about 4 ounces of my soap, you could of taken 1 shower, washed hair and all with the biosoap, and been done, It leaves your skin soft, cuts grease better that ANYTHING!!! and rinse right off with out any funny smell!

maybe next time :D

Sounds like a new business to me. diesel oil cleaning soap.

I am laying out everything and will hopefully get pictures of everything as it goes in. I actually bought some engine cleaner and brake fluid to clean up and power wash underneith before I get started.

Back