• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

After the test drive

WanaDmax

Reaction score
My W key fell off. So if there is a place where it goes blah blah blah e blah blah blah, the e is supposed to be we.

so, ill give you an account of what happened.
Greg, i know your probably following this, so, ima be honest. This is what i told you, but with some other things thrown in...

We show up, and the truck looks okay. The paint is somewhat faded on the hood, and quite faded on the roof. Nothing where theres primer or bare metal, but still noticeable.

He opened the door an came out. Nice guy, firm handshake

We opened the hood, and everything looked relatively well done, nice and clean. He fired it up, and i noticed this, but didnt think anything of it, but my dad pointed out that the engine shakes in idle. about 5 degrees of rotation. Greg said it did it after the injectors so he thought it was that, but it did it before. He also added that the other owner had the bushings tested, and were fine.

After that, my dad pointed out the tailgate, which is protruding from the rear a bit. The trim panels were not connected either, so the DODGE plate was falling off a little.

Next item. When he went to turn it off, he pulled the key out, but it kept going... He had to pull a little tab, connected to some bike shifter cable to turn the pump off. Is this normal on modded trucks?

Then we looked at the interior. Relatively okay. The arm rest was worn through though, but it felt comfy. The windshield was cracked, but he said hed chip in for it. Also, the rear view mirror was missing, making me a little disoriented. But eventually i got used to that. I still didnt get used to how big it was, i kept driving in the middle of the road :p

Next, when i looked for the P-Brake, he told me there isnt one... It had been taken out when he did the disk brake conversion. So, that means i would have to invest in a parking chalk that couldnt be stolen.

So we pull out, and everythings fine, except for the brakes. you REALLY have to get on them to stop. Stopping with a trailer on the freeway WOULD NOT go well. But i figured a professional brake bleed and job would make it better.

Then, e got onto a straight road... MAN THAT THING RIPS! We only got it to about 20PSI (of 65 total :p) and it went good.

We went down to a bigger street, and i goosed it, and it SMOOOOOKED! Like 5 mexican chicks in a little commuter car pulled up to me, and was like. "Hey! Joo Pohlootin teee Aireee! Aye Cahnot Breeeeeeth!!!!!" So i smoked them again!

Then we were on our marry way. Then it was time to turn around, and make a... well, attempt a U-Turn. I had to back up, and go again, but that wasnt a problem.

Then we get to the major problem.

We pulled down the street to change drivers. But before we got out, i asked if i could try the 4-WD out. ALL YOU 1ST GEN OWNERS LISTEN UP!

So, i put it in neutral, and shift it into 4-LO. It works good. Then i stop to shift it back. Neutral, T-case into N, then into 2-HI.GRRRRAAAAGGGGTTTTT! Grinding, instantly, I put it back into T-Case N. Then i try again, same result. I then tell him, hey, i have no idea whats going on. You do it.

So my dad jumps out, and Greg takes the pass seat. We try park, then N then shifting. Nothing. He fiddles with it, throwing it left and right (isnt it supposed to stay in a track??). We turned it off, and put it in park. It rolled forward. Nope.. Throw the T-Case handle around more, Park again, roll forward, we get grinding now, but still not in gear. Throwing it around some more, he finally got it, and e changed drivers, and we were off.

From that point, i had a feeling in me that, perhaps this thing is actually quite fragile....

Then my dad took over, so he could feel it, and drove home. I told him to goose it, and spool it up to 20PSI, we did, and it was zippy for a 7k lb truck.

We pull into his street, and my dad yells to my mom and sister waiting in the burb, HEY, LOOK AT THIS! And he proceeded to smoke them. He found that quite enjoyable.

As were coming back to his house, we have to go into someones driveway to turn around. All was good, until we put it in reverse... The T-case rattled really badly. He said it was the 5" Down Pipe hitting it, but only in reverse it does that.

We get back, and park it in the driveway, and put it on the bricks (since it has no parking brake).

I left feeling it was somehat mechanically sound, but.. It had some body work that needed to be done.

So, whats yalls opinion on what you just heard?

P.S. Left Coast Diesel, I need to schedule a mechanics overview with you. I was thinking the Wednesday coming up, at 2:00pm?

he has a mechanical cable on the fuel shutoff solenoid. someone too cheap to spend 200.00 on the proper part.

I would probably offer 6700 based on your assesment. You will need a few things from the sounds of it.

That would be a good deal for you, but it will requires some sweat equity, and a few bucks to get to where you want it.

Same thing with the used grizzly 600 i bought. It was offered at 3500 and i got it for 2800. By the time i add up my parts bill, the total cost to me is 800.00, so all in all not unexpected.

A dodge with fit and finiish problem on the exterior get out of here!!! Very common on all dodge trucks 1st gen to present they have cheap body and interior parts. We had D250 with a cummins a few years ago strong old truck but we had to carry fuses and resistors every where we went, and the trucks T-case left us in 4 low on more than 1 occassion on the highway after hunting and it is always a slow long trip in 4 low on the highway. The truck was very dependable and strong though juts as all dodges are she was really rough around the edges.

my transfer case is easily stuck when the hubs are in and you pull out on hard surface. look for rust above the drip rail gutter above the windshield. i have a stick so transfer case grinding isn't an issue. i would have a look see on the exhaust hitting on what ever should be easy to see and sounds reasonable . my 93 has a great running gear just that darn dodge body. just kidding. when i do my 78 cummins conversion its getting a kill cable then with a stick who cares about a battery.

Is this the same guy that was trying to buy my 03 6.0L gasser and messed up my 4x4? Oh, and then backing out after $1,000 in repairs later? I was :dupe:'d "Your name was Doug"

Good on you for giving it a proper test drive.

to me i want to buy a stocker and do what mods if any i want. running a stock cummins is alot harder to overheat than one thats turned up and not watched. i see many of them selling now so i don't think this would be the only one showing up . but thats just me.

Is this the same guy that was trying to buy my 03 6.0L gasser and messed up my 4x4? Oh, and then backing out after $1,000 in repairs later? I was :dupe:'d "Your name was Doug"

Good on you for giving it a proper test drive.

Wasnt me, i live in CA, your in WI

to me i want to buy a stocker and do what mods if any i want. running a stock cummins is alot harder to overheat than one thats turned up and not watched. i see many of them selling now so i don't think this would be the only one showing up . but thats just me.

yeah, but i have like $0 for mods... and $0 for diesel :mad2::mad::mad:

So im not getting it. Smokes too much for my neck of the woods (richy mc-rich ville) and gets too low mpgs.

o3 6.0 Gasser would be a 2003 Chevy 6.0 Gas Motor (just for clarifaction)

Thanks Phil.

whoops :dita:

But, no, that wasnt me who broke your 4X4. Im a good guy, i would have chipped in for repairs.

I know, your name is not Doug.:ihih: Chill man, i was just venting after an ahole screwed me earlier this year.

Last edited:
Back