• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Advice - Which Diesel Truck for Drag Racing?

keithdigital

Reaction score
I want to buy a used turbo diesel truck for daily driving and hit the drag strip once a month or so. No towing or offroading. I don't mind Chevy, Ford, or Dodge just looking for the truck that will give me the best performance mod for mod. What do you guys recommend?

# Dodge Cummins 07.5-09 6.7L CR
# Dodge Cummins 04.5-07 5.9L CR
# Dodge Cummins 03-04 5.9L CR
# Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 5.9L 24V
# Dodge Cummins 94-98 5.9L 12V
# Dodge Cummins 89-93 5.9L 12V
# Ford Powerstroke 08-09 6.4L
# Ford Powerstroke 03-07 6.0L
# Ford Powerstroke 99-03 7.3L
# Ford Powerstroke 94-97 7.3L
# GM Duramax 07.5-09 6.6L LMM
# GM Duramax 06-07 6.6L LLY/LBZ
# GM Duramax 04.5-05 6.6L LLY
# GM Duramax 01-04 6.6L LB7

Also - what about:
Automatic vs Manual
2wd vs 4wd
Extended Cab or Crew Cab - does it make a big difference in performance

Last edited:
If I were to build a truck as a street legal drag racer, I would have:

Duramax 4x4, regular cab, Allison (built), open exhaust, intake, lift pump, fuel valve shim, and a race tune (EFI Live, PPE Hot+2, or the like). Gauges of course, and a sleeved and braced front end, with ladder bars or spring clamps in the rear. Bigger turbo, headstuds, etc., if you wanted to start dropping real money into it.

That will get you a 12 second truck in pretty short order.

LB7,LLY. Just because of the piston issues of the LBZ/LMM.

Some have a great luck (like me :D) with the LBZ pistons. And some have popped in 10K.

Any of the pistons can fail, it's just more common for the LBZ/LMM.

when you say piston issues on the lmm.....are you refering to high hp trucks? or should I be worried running my edge race evolution?

I would say a 6.7 cummins, or a 6.4 powerstroke. Dont plan on a warranty, and plan on spending a few bucks. with a programmer, exhaust, intake, and dual cp3's a 6.7 cummins put down some of the best numbers at our dyno day, only being beat by build specific sled pull trucks.

Duramax will probably go the fastest just because they are the lightest. The 6.4 Ford is a good option too, a Spartan 310 tune and a DPF delete will produce almost 500 at the wheels, the Ford is 1000lbs heavier than the GM trucks though. I don't know much about the newer Cummins, but I believe to make 500 rwhp you will need injectors and a turbo??? Like was mentioned above a reg cab 01-04 truck (LB7) can be had cheap and for about 5-6k you will 500+ rwhp. My truck is a ext cab and it went 12.72 @ 104.7 so a reg cab should be 800lbs lighter and go at least 12.50's?

I would say a 6.7 cummins, or a 6.4 powerstroke. Dont plan on a warranty, and plan on spending a few bucks. with a programmer, exhaust, intake, and dual cp3's a 6.7 cummins put down some of the best numbers at our dyno day, only being beat by build specific sled pull trucks.

Yea I would love a brand new (6.7/6.4) truck, but I am looking for a used, maybe 2000-2004 range.

I just called up Bank's and one of the guys there recommended to me the Duramax. He said there are ton of go fast parts available and really good computer tunes out there. He also recommended Auto tranny (that is built) and 4x4 (for traction). He said 12's are possible on the Duramax with stock engine and turbo if the tranny is built. Not sure if that is possible with the Powerstroke or Cummins?

I just called up Bank's and one of the guys there recommended to me the Duramax. He said there are ton of go fast parts available and really good computer tunes out there. He also recommended Auto tranny (that is built) and 4x4 (for traction). He said 12's are possible on the Duramax with stock engine and turbo if the tranny is built. Not sure if that is possible with the Powerstroke or Cummins?
I'd maybe talk to a few guys about Banks...:confused:

Oh wait!... Here's one!):h

Yea I would love a brand new (6.7/6.4) truck, but I am looking for a used, maybe 2000-2004 range.

stay away from banks!!!! i see your in FL. Call Ed with Griffin Diesel Performance 941-809-8543, he has some time under his belt making go fast trucks ranging from 93-09. The 93 he built ran a 13 sec 1/4 mile and it had to let up after the 1/8 because of no overdrive:eek: since having the trans built with new overdrive it hasnt been ran. he plays with everything, cummins, stroke, and d-max, so he can tell you what will make the most power for the best money.

the CR is probably the easiest to get power from and stay together, the weak link is the auto trans, look to spend 6-7K for a built transmision, i dont know to much about the others. we have several 11-12 seconds CR's aournd here. and 1 bad a$$ duramax.

Back