• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Advice needed on Oldsmobile diesel engines

Basically he had it, sold it to a guy, guy's kid noticed GM bean counters skimped on head bolts allowing the head gaskets to fail, and gelled it up, possibly ruining the IP.

valve covers and intake are off, and that is where he quit, because he is under the impression that the pan needs dropped to pull the oil pump driveshaft to pull the vac pump to pull the intake to pull the heads. I dont know for sure, I wouldnt think that GM would screw up that badly, but who knows.

I'll try to get some pics.

I guess by being an 82 it should have the DX block with the roller cam, so its much better than having a 78-80.

Gelled the engine oil or the fuel up? If the oil is gelled up how long did it sit? Rust is a concern ruining lifters and push rods etc. Gelled oil means bearings are done.

ARP head studs and a working IP set to factory timing will get some life out of the engine with a water separator fuel filter add on. Word is any dirt or water will muck up IP timing bad enough to hurt the engine at it's extreme 22:1 compression.

DX blocks didn't start until 84 is my understanding also one of the issues with head bolts was they bottomed out in the holes before true torque was achieved .

Sent from my Studio 5.0s using Tapatalk

he said the side exit exhaust sounds pretty mean. :)

a transmission rattled around in the back and put two outward dents in the trunk wall.

I dont need it, but he needs to sell it (learned he will be laid off in a few months, and has a payment on a jeep he needs to pay off so he isnt out of work and in debt.)

I am debating about buying him a ARP headstud kit, as he would be better off with the car. the truck behind it is a transmission eating son of a gun that gets sigle digit fuel economy, and is his DDer. IMO he needs something like my 91 chevy, just dead simple and reliable, and 15+ mpg around town, 20-23 highway. I know he likes that OOBS truck, but IMO I would have gotten rid of it long ago with that kind of MPG.

I dont need it, but he needs to sell it (learned he will be laid off in a few months, and has a payment on a jeep he needs to pay off so he isnt out of work and in debt.)

I am debating about buying him a ARP headstud kit, as he would be better off with the car. the truck behind it is a transmission eating son of a gun that gets sigle digit fuel economy, and is his DDer. IMO he needs something like my 91 chevy, just dead simple and reliable, and 15+ mpg around town, 20-23 highway. I know he likes that OOBS truck, but IMO I would have gotten rid of it long ago with that kind of MPG.

The ARP gift will turn into free install. Then all the other misc install items that add up like a black hole. You know it. :rolleyes5: He will learn soon enough about MPG, being out of work, and high fuel prices.

If you are going to work on it for free you may as well own it. :hihi:

the interior is decent. IIRC headliner is falling in, but the seats are good, no mouse damage from what I saw/ smelled, a few misc stains, but overall not bad. a good deep cleaning and IMO she would be good on the inside. I need to look it over again to confirm.

Back