• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Adjusting toe in with tie rod sleeves

trotorx2

Reaction score
I installed my tie rod sleeves I got from GmcLbz at Upstate Diesel Performance the other day. I used the diy post from McRat as a guide and for the most part it was pretty easy.

Now that I have the sleeves on I noticed my steering wheel isn't centered as well as before. I was careful and counted turns on and off. The sleeves go from the tie rod to the boot at the center link with no room for a wrench to turn the rod.

How can the toe in be adjusted with the sleeves? Anyone go through an alignment with sleeves?

Thanks

if you need to adjust the rod ends out then you should be okay, just loosen them and tighten as before. if the rod ends need to go in try and screw the sleeves on a bit more if not they need to be shortened. i'd call the company and see what you should do in that case.

I bought those same sleeves and tried putting them on. They were too long. may have to cut a 1/2" or so off to make them fit.

The only problem I had with mine was the one I installed on the driver side didn't want to thread on but about half way. I had to put a pair of vice grips on the rod then screw on the sleeve with a wrench. The threads didn't look bad and I lubed them with anti-size.

Tonight I drove down a straight flat road and the steering wheel is aprox 1 inch left of center. Is there an easy way to fix that other than going to an alignment shop?

to avoid major tire were by doing it your self i would bring it to a shop. but i have recieved mine last weekend and i gave them to my buddy who is a die maker to have them cut down by 3/4 of inch. this way i have some room for improvement.

It is always a good idea that when any suspension parts are replaced you should get a alignment done, It would help ensure that your tires will not wear out prematurely

Just an update, Any truck that has the torsion bars turned up "more than normal" will have problems with our sleeves. The first sets that we made were too long. We have since corrected this problem by shortening the sleeves by 1/2 inch. Hope this clears things up for everyone. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to contact Chad or myself and we will be glad to help you.

Also It probably wouldn't hurt to have an alignment done afterwards.

Last edited:
Maybe I have a set of the long ones. My truck is stock height and the sleeves go all the way to the boots with no room for adjustment if the tierods need to be turned in.

Maybe I have a set of the long ones. My truck is stock height and the sleeves go all the way to the boots with no room for adjustment if the tierods need to be turned in.

Yup, you most likely have one of our very first sets. If you want to send them back we can shorten them for you.

Jim

Last edited:
Yup, you most likely have one of our very first sets. If you want to send them back we can shorten them for you.

Jim

Oh Oh what about mine?! :biggrin5:

If there to long can you just cut one side with a die grinder? Or is the side that needs shortened have threads?

Oh Oh what about mine?! :biggrin5:

If there to long can you just cut one side with a die grinder? Or is the side that needs shortened have threads?

Nope you won't have to worry about that. Yours will work just fine. Yours are one of the later sets.

Nope you won't have to worry about that. Yours will work just fine. Yours are one of the later sets.

Oh sweet!

I just got them in the mail today and they look awesome! Better than alot of sets I have seen. Thanks again! :cheers2:

Back