• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

ABS

bhelms22

Reaction score
Not really a "diesel" question, but is there a relay that can be pulled so that ABS does not work on these trucks?

Thanks, do you know if ABS throws codes on these? Problem is this is the first thing I owned that had abs (just recently got a tahoe) and half the time it gets wet outside the ABS will kick in and act crazy for a few miles. I don't know much about ABS but from what I've seen the last several years I aint impressed; I'd rather just lock up and slide.

Thanks, do you know if ABS throws codes on these? Problem is this is the first thing I owned that had abs (just recently got a tahoe) and half the time it gets wet outside the ABS will kick in and act crazy for a few miles. I don't know much about ABS but from what I've seen the last several years I aint impressed; I'd rather just lock up and slide.

Yup, abs has codes.

Check your wires running along the front upper A arms. They're susceptible to breaking when they get old at the bending point.

If the wires haven't broken but the water is getting in it could cause all kind of trouble.

The ABS on the GMT400 chassis isn't what I would call an "advanced" system.

The thing I find with it is you have to just keep your foot in it once it activates. Kick back in the pedal, groaning, vibrating and all that jazz.

You just can't back out to max brake it or you won't get effective braking.

It's quite crude but gets the job done just like newer anti lock.

Many on this board will disagree though...

Thanks yall, I think i'll just pull the fuse and see how that does. If the engine light bugs me I might try to just pull the bulb to that too.I like the theory of ABS but it just ain't workin for me. Couldnt even get out of the driveway today without it acting up.

Thats what I want to hear... and I won't blame ya if it comes on. I'll come on here and say if it does or not if I can remember, for future reference.

The ABS on the GMT400 chassis isn't what I would call an "advanced" system. The thing I find with it is you have to just keep your foot in it once it activates. Kick back in the pedal, groaning, vibrating and all that jazz. You just can't back out to max brake it or you won't get effective braking. It's quite crude but gets the job done just like newer anti lock. Many on this board will disagree though...
Indeed. :hihi:
We have a 96 Buick Roadmaster wagon with the same generation system. It works ok unless the traction is near ice rink levels where its off the map and I wish I could turn it off. A buddy of mine mentioned its also gets nuts off road when slipping around in the clay around here. It is good for compensating for load changes. The old wagon would lock up the rear easy in the wet if the back was empty this one not at all. This gen 1 system does expect you to be a total panic driven knucklehead :eek: and slam the pedal to the floor and not let up until the vehicle comes to a stop. Hard for me to do but the wife required no retraining :rof: and that is what GM had in mind me thinks. :thumbsup:

I'm thinking of a simple relay based start / stop circuit to turn off the ABS with a push button so it will come back on the next time the vehicle is started. Cause I know if I leave it off accidentally ...

Sounds like you need to design a circuit with a latching relay....

Yeppers. :D Should be able to do it with a regular ole Bosh style cube relay. A button to close the relay and then its NO contact will keep it powered and kill the power to the ABS via the NC contacts just like pulling the fuse. Ignition off drops out the relay and the power is back on to the ABS. Might take two but I suspect I could do it with one. :skep:

Are you talking about the wires connected to the sensors or the harness the sensors plug into? I took my '99 to have codes pulled and it showed a circuit fault with the RF sensor, sonI replaced it. The ABS has worked intermittently. The light will typically come on when in reverse and wheels turned. In the rare cases that it does not come on, it will stay that way for that trip with the ABS working. Both wheel sensors are near new with the bearings and the RF has been replaced again after the bearings. Very frustrating as I want it to work in the snow.

Rained last night so ABS was acting up right off the bat. I pulled the fuse from under hood block and went on my way. Good news is the ABS isn't kicking in anymore and the SES light didn't come on. Annoying news is the ABS light is on. Just thought I'd follow up incase anyone is reading this a ways down the road.

Back