• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

ABS light, can it be turned off?

EraserX33

Reaction score
hey all,

I had one of my ABS sensors go bad on my 99GMC 3500. I pulled the fuse to keep it from activating intermitantly. I'm not going to replace the sensor right now but I would like to get the ABS light on the panel to turn off. Is there a way to turn the light off? Or, is there a way to disable ABS without pulling the fuse that would keep the light from illuminating?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Darrell

electrical tape over the light.

You sure the sensor is bad?? Try unplugging them at all the hubs and really clean the connections in the plug ends. A little corrosion and they won't work right.

you're just kind of stuck with the light or the abs issue unfortunately. You had the code read then and it came back as a speed sensor? Check the wiring to whatever speed sensor it said was bad....sometimes it'll be the wire but usually it's the sensor. Worth checking though...you get some crud in the connector or if someone has done brakes on the truck and damaged the connector or wire.

If its the old body style just unplug ALL the plugs on the driver side innerwell at the ABS unit. No more ABS and no more idiot light on the dash :thumbsup:

Those ABS sensors actually work this way.
They have a magnet and create their own current. There are two leads.
Sometimes you will find that one of the sensor wires (leads) will scrape or suffer road damage/debris. If one of those (fragile) leads take a beating the ABS will light up.
Those ABS sensors are easy to replace. Kinda easy to diagnose.
Since they put out AC current set up a digital multimeter to Alternating current. Unplug the suspected ABS lead. Test the sensor with the wheel spinning. It should give you an idea if the sensor or (leads) are going out.
If you can get an ABS scanner from the stealership to tell you which ABS sensor than better still.
If you ask me the cost of an ABS sensor is is a little high.
The sensor is attached at the wheel with a mounting bolt.
The faster the wheel spins the more current the sensor puts out.

I did the same for 9 years. Strangely, the last time I went for an "e" check, the inspector was about to write up some sort of form for the light; they had never done that before. Just at that moment the o-ring on the lift pump let loose and I started leaking fuel, so I bailed from the test before the paperwork was filed.

Replaced the o-ring and pulled the bulb. Passed with 0% opacity (and no form) as I have every time. What a waste of time, effort and money....

This year I get to put the stock exhaust back on the Dmax for the first time, just for one day, to achieve the same result. And I bet the bastards don't even take out the mirror to look for a cat or muffler...I am half tempted to leave the race tune in it to see if it will pass....

Back