• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A-team turbo oil leak

You have to do trial and error for the spring to use also.

I bought one from Heath Diesel, less trial and error since the direction suggest around a certain length.
Then I just have to fine tune it to get the desired max psi by a few mm.
IIRC, I only did it once and that was 15 years ago.

Not promoting their product since Heath does not own Heath Diesel anymore.

I didn't read up on the ATT too much ,but I do remember it was a turbo specifically built for the 6.5. would anyone know if the turbo cartridge is a match to possibly a hoset model or another manufacture where a rebuild kit would work for it?

Update: Removed the att. Leak was coming from the after-market return line connection. However, the weird noise was coming from the turbo. So... something is going on there. It is on a shelf in a box. Made the diy turbomaster , and got it dialed to around 6-8 psi. I like it. I like it better than the att. Seems to accelerate stronger, sounds better (I like the whine), a straightforward build, and best of all... cost two dollars to make (price of the spring). That's what I define as a good modification. I used a 3/8" threaded rod (had it laying around) 8" long. I have a vertical actuator, so I just used the bracket that was already there. Cut the top cup off the actuator. Removed the diaphragm, and used the guts ( inner cup and flat metal piece), drilled a hole to fit the rod through. Welded the rod to the stock actuator wastgate moving attachment. Removed rubber grommet. Smoothed rod as needed. Left the rod long. Put the apparatus back together, and bolted it back to the stock turbo. Then cut the rod to fit. I used a spring with the dimensions of 5/8" diameter, .08" thick, and 3.5" long. So, if you use that type of spring and have a vertical actuator and, then, crank it down to 2.5" of spring showing, you should get around 6-8 psi. A good starting point, anyway. Only problem is... the stock turbo is old. Maybe as old as the truck. So, it will probably break soon. Can the stock unit be rebuilt...?

Update: Removed the att. Leak was coming from the after-market return line connection. However, the weird noise was coming from the turbo. So... something is going on there. It is on a shelf in a box. Made the diy turbomaster , and got it dialed to around 6-8 psi. I like it. I like it better than the att. Seems to accelerate stronger, sounds better (I like the whine), a straightforward build, and best of all... cost two dollars to make (price of the spring). That's what I define as a good modification. I used a 3/8" threaded rod (had it laying around) 8" long. I have a vertical actuator, so I just used the bracket that was already there. Cut the top cup off the actuator. Removed the diaphragm, and used the guts ( inner cup and flat metal piece), drilled a hole to fit the rod through. Welded the rod to the stock actuator wastgate moving attachment. Removed rubber grommet. Smoothed rod as needed. Left the rod long. Put the apparatus back together, and bolted it back to the stock turbo. Then cut the rod to fit. I used a spring with the dimensions of 5/8" diameter, .08" thick, and 3.5" long. So, if you use that type of spring and have a vertical actuator and, then, crank it down to 2.5" of spring showing, you should get around 6-8 psi. A good starting point, anyway. Only problem is... the stock turbo is old. Maybe as old as the truck. So, it will probably break soon. Can the stock unit be rebuilt...?
Sounds like You got that turbo mastered. 😹😹😹
Yes they can be rebuilt. Quad Star Tuning did have kits for the stock units.
When I kitted My turbo, I installed a wicked wheel into it. That started building pressure quicker but it didnt build more pressure due to the computer controlled WG solenoid valve.
There are people in here that would most likely purchase that ATT from You in annas is condition if You put it in the for sale classified section of this forum.

Back