• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

a real dually 2 sets of tires

I was scratching my head when I first read that. But. hells ya thats awesome! I wonder if they do it for a reason or just for looks? Wonder if its a tag axle or a drive? That would be neat to see in person. It looks to me like 19.5's with low profile tires on it. :yesnod:

but would they last 2 times longer

Thats what I was thinking!

I saw this at a truck show over the weekend.

HPIM1351.jpg

Man, try to make a sharp turn with that thing. I wonder if it's just one dummy axle (not hooked to drivetrain) and the one in front as the driving wheels?

I've seen that before, a Truck Builder magazine maybe?

Twice the tire life, I think not because they scrub in turns, the vehicle isn't long enough to prevent it.

Man, try to make a sharp turn with that thing. I wonder if it's just one dummy axle (not hooked to drivetrain) and the one in front as the driving wheels?

The term you are searching for is "tag axle". I swear I saw that thing in a truck builder magazine. I can't remember if it had a flipped transfer case or a gear-over drive and both rear axles drove it or if it was a tag axle.

Attachments

• DoubleDually1.JPG
    DoubleDually1.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 34
  • DoubleDually2.jpg
    DoubleDually2.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I've bee contemplating such a conversion for a couple of yrs now. I first seen a dbl alxe 1 ton in a FWD mag then last yr diesel power did one from the same guy, but with a newer (04?) truck. A couple of months ago, one of them sport truck mags' cover truck was done up w/ two axles. It was done by USA6X6. I almost started drooling. Now this 6x6 guy is bankrupt and out of bussiness????? This is killing me!!

Yeah, I got that impression too. But I would still like to see pics of the guys work, just so I could somewhat duplicate it. Seein a fender extended just doesnt quite cut it. We have a shop in Chicago area called spring align. I need to see if they would make custom springs to my design or I may just use 1/2" bar stock and make a "z" spring (similar to a mack truck) and then use air bags. Unless I could make some way of making the rear axle live, I'd have to leave it free wheel (so to speak) and call it a tag axle and be done.

I really want a dual dually....

Any body got pics of this kind of work???

Man i wish i had my camera with me the other day. Found an old ford 1 ton with that conversion. It was an old cab chassis and the back axle acted as a dummy. However he took the stock springs out and bought 2 sets of springs that were the exact same made some new mounts and bolted everything in. It had a FE block in it with stacks and a flatbed. I wish the guy would have been home so i could have talked to him but it did look pretty cool.

that USA 6x6 company did the last conversion a few months ago.... he is out of business.... not enough people doing it to keep him alive.... and he took forever to do the conversions so a lot of people were getting upset with him....

I know a guy who built one, he ran a body shop and built all his own tow trucks, work trucks and such. He actually had some pretty clever rigs. One was a flatbed with a wrecker boom that laid flat into the bed so you could carry a car or load on the flatbed, or hoist the boom up hydraulically to use it as a wrecker. And a huge ramp truck with a scissor lift mod so you could dump the deck almost vertical.
Anywhay, where was I? Oh yeah, he built an 87 GMC 1 ton 4 wheel drive with a custom rear frame riding on airbags, two 14 bolt dually axles. He was going to make it ten wheel drive but he ended up putting it on the road before he worked out the rear drive, and now he says he doesn't need the drive in the rear axle. Pretty nice looking truck, and I'm sure it has some pretty massive load capacity, but it's gotta be limited by the hydraulic brakes.

Not sure what part of the country you're from, but in Il, the single axle plow trucks (the older ones) all had/have juice brakes. Those guys would load the snot out of em w/ salt and they seemed to hold up ok.

OK this double daHooooley thing is way cool.
Here is my Double Dually. (Sit my Butt in this thing daily) :D

Pix Taken on a recent run (summer) to get red cinder

MGW

Attachments

• Redrocktrip508.JPG
    Redrocktrip508.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 25
Back