• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A quick engine break-in question...

mitchedo

Reaction score
I'm driving my truck on a temporary tag until I get enough miles to feel comfortable letting the inspectors put it on the dyno for the smoke density check. They run it to 55 mph in 3rd gear (auto tranny), then punch it and keep it wide open until either the smoke clears to less than 20% or it hits redline.

I can have about 500 miles on the engine by Saturday when I would need to get this test done.

Should I go ahead with the test or pay the six bucks for another 2-week tag? I don't mind the six bucks, it's having to drive up there to get the stupid thing.

Work was done by a local shop that came highly recommended, and it's running great. I'm not worried about it breaking; just that you're not supposed to do WOT on a new engine (I realize diesels don't have a throttle, but it's a convenient acronym).

WOT won't do anything for the rings, right? That recommendation is mostly for the bearings, which should be fine by now. ??? I don't like the idea that the engine could hit redline either.

We have gotten four new cars at work with in the last 2 months. All four when we picked them up stated to put 1,000 Km on them before we raised the RPM up above 3,000 RPM. Three were gas and one was Diesel.

This was hard to do on the Diesel. ):h

Take the drive up there to get the 2 week tag, that will give you more miles towards break-in and 2 more weeks. Also give you piece of mind.

I would NOT do that test on my brand new engien with only 500miles. But I'm no mechanic.

Back in the day's I spent at GM training center and tech school.

Warm the new engine to operating temp, check for any leaks (oil, water) then run it reasonable for about 30 minutes to be sure everything is fine.

5 runs from 0-60 at WOT and 60-0 at closed throttle.

Never ever had any issues with any of my rebuilds not living good long life spans.

My 94 Burb 6.5 got about 30 minutes to warm up and then off to get flogged up and down a 6% grade a half dozen times.

These are not milk toast, you are not going to hurt the little critter if its built right.

500 miles or 5000 miles, its ready to put it's shoulder into the load and do its thing.

I would dump the oil and filter now though at 500 miles and put fresh oil in. That intial run in will have flushed out any left over crap that could have been present. Also during the initial run in there is going to be a little wear on things and some particles are bound to come through.

I assemble using Lubriplate 105 and some HP assembly lube on the rockers and cam.

Once this stuff has served its purpose its good to get it out and have clean fresh oil and filter.

Best

MGW

Last edited:
Back