• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A New Victim Brought To Barry's Refuge

Stick one of those long probed cooking thermometers in the pan and monitor the temps. Don't let it get above say 210*
Defenatly preclean as best you can.
When I did my parts it was anything that would fit in the pan like rocker arms, brackets, bolts.......They came out like new.

Still getting ready to pull

I took the factory style exhaust off in 3 pieces, well 4 if you count the crossover pipe. This wasn't even a challenge beings as this truck has spent very little time in the salt. The downpipe unbolted at the flange with no trouble. I made one cut with a sawsall where there was a splice in front of the muffler. Un-bolted the hangers from the frame and simply slid the pieces out in the middle of the truck. The crossover un-bolted from the manifold without any kind of fight at all.

IMG_1900_12.JPGIMG_1901_13.JPG

IMG_1902_14.JPGIMG_1904_16.JPG

I had the transfer case draining while I took the crossover off. I moved the drain pan op to the tranny while I pulled the 2 piece driveshaft off. What is wrong when you look at the pic of the driveshaft:???::???:
IMG_1907_1.JPG
The u-joints are not in a straight line. This will cause a vibration and destroy the hanger bearing.:slap:
The front driveshaft was next. No problems getting it off. The u-joint on the transfercase end has a binding problem. Have to replace that joint before it goes back in.
The oil filter and oil filter adpter wer the next things off. This engine and underside is the oily-est,greasy-ist that I've had the pleasure of working on. It had to be leaking badly long before the headgasket blew.

IMG_1909_3.jpgIMG_1910_4.jpg

IMG_1911_5.jpgIMG_1912_6.jpg

I pulled the driver's side exhaust manifold off next because it would allow full access to the oil cooler line connections and it likes to hook on the steering shaft if it's left on.:thumbsup:
I got the oil cooler lines disconnected from the engine and pulled down to try to drain the sludge like oil out of the. I made the silly move of putting the air nozzle in in one line:rolleyes5::eek: to blow the oil out the other:nonod: Well I didn't get sprayed real bad:slap::hihi:
Next was the passenger side exhaust manifold and turbo. I took it all off including the turbo oil drain , in one chunk.:thumbsup: The turbo mounting bolts on the engine side just plain suck to get out as does one of the bolts in the drain tube:agreed:
A real surprise was when I pulled the cdr valve out of the valve cover before I took the turbo and manifold off:yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
IMG_1916_10.JPG IMG_1917_11.jpg:nonod:

I can't wait to see what it looks like inside:eek:
Here's the turbo/manifold chunk
IMG_1918_12.JPG

One last easy quiz for this post. What is wrong in this pic?:???::dunno:

IMG_1920_14.jpg

The stud on the starter ear that attaches to the brace is missing:nonod::nonod:
The engine/tranny/transfer case should be coming out tomorrow. I'm taking it all out in one chunk[hopefully]

If your going to quiz us don't give the answer so soon.

The boiling Purple Power will work great on parts like that oil filter adapter.

If your going to quiz us don't give the answer so soon.

The boiling Purple Power will work great on parts like that oil filter adapter.

Sorry:???: I guess I should have numbered them and gave the answers upside down in a couple days:hihi:
The parts washer cleaned up the filter adapter pretty easy. I'm thinking about a pre soak of gasoline or lacquer thinner for the radiator and heater core to dilute the sludge, then dawn dish soap.
Where would I find a place that sells that Purple Power in 5 gallon buckets? That's made by Castrol isn't it?

I've got gallons of PP at Menards Barry but can't say I've ever seen 5 gal buckets.

Thanks Mike. There's a Menards store in the same town[Buffalo] as The NAPA I go to.
I used to buy a cleaner called"Clear Magic." made by Westleys that was very good but I don't see it around any more.

Sidetracked

The engine is still in the truck:(:WTF: I got sidetracked today but I did get some work done on it.
I got The oil cooler and lines out. It had the normal mat between the cooler and A/C condenser.

IMG_1923_1.jpg

I also got the starter and hood off. About all that's left is the shifter and motor mounts. I had to do a shop tidy up for room to maneuver the hoist and drivetrain.
The good part of one of the 2 sidetracks today was I stopped at a Home Depot to see if they had industrial strength degreaser to clean the insides of my radiator.:thumbsup::thumbsup: I bought 5 gallons of some pretty nasty stuff. It should do the trick:yikes: :yikes:

IMG_1931_9.JPG IMG_1932_10.JPG

IMG_1933_11.jpg

Sidetracked again and Change Of Plan

My sidetrack today will change the engine plan for this truck. I bought yet another truck:rolleyes5::eek: This one has a pretty rusty body, but has a GEP N/A optimiser under the hood with less than 25,000 miles. The optimiser will go in this project truck:thumbsup: I'll be bringing the donor truck home in the next few days.
I figured out tonight that I can't pull the whole powertrain all together[unless I lift the body off:rolleyes5:] as I do with automatic equipped trucks:mad2::mad2: The transfer case will have to be taken off under the truck. I got the motor mount to frame bolts out on the passenger side with only a bit of cussing:cuss:. I don't think that will be the case on the passenger side:crazy::cuss::cuss::pissed::incazzato::smash::smash: With the automatics I don't have to take the mounts off the frame. There is enough room to lift the engine over them before the tranny hits the tunnel. Not with a nv4500. They are tight to the tunnel.
The new diamondeye exhaust for this truck came today. I posted the pics of it in Leroy's[Burning Oil] Exhaust thread.

I'll probbly pick it up this weekend:cool:. I didn't bring the camera with yesterday.:WTF: The truck is nothing to look at.:nonod: Pretty rusty. I bought it from a semi-retired farmer. He bought the engine brand new from the chevy dealer 5 years ago or less:thumbsup:. His son has a 6.5 engine and possibly more parts also.:eek::thumbsup:

The Engine is Out-Finally

After a failed attempt to remove the transfer case:mad2::mad2:. It and the tranny stayed in the truck. Just the engine came out. Apparently whoever put the clutch in had a snap-on or other strong impact that they way over torqued all the tranny to engine bolts with. Some were near 150 ft-lbs:eek: I was able to get the engine up over the driver's side mount. As usual :rolleyes5::pat:I missed unbolting the ground strap from the passenger side head to the firewall near the heater core tubes.

IMG_1941_1.jpg IMG_1942_2.jpg

IMG_1943_3.jpg IMG_1944_4.jpg

IMG_1945_5.jpg IMG_1946_6.jpg

IMG_1947_7.jpg

I got the engine on the stand and started tearing down for parts that will be reused[IP and lines] and to see just what happened to it and if the block and or heads are salvageable:skep:. As expected the inside of the engine was full of the thick black sludge and some water.:agreed:

IMG_1948_8.jpg IMG_1949_9.jpg

IMG_1950_10.jpg

The block is a "599" cast in December of 92

IMG_1951_11.JPG IMG_1952_12.JPG

IMG_1953_13.JPG IMG_1954_14.jpg

IMG_1955_15.JPG

IMG_1956_16.JPG IMG_1957_17.JPG

IMG_1958_18.jpg IMG_1959_19.jpg

Further Disassembly

Got the heads pulled off. The cylinder bores look pretty worn with a good sized ridge on the top.:rolleyes5: No easily visible cracks in the walls. With some help from War Wagon and his sister[visitors to the refuge last night]:thumbsup::welcome5: we found where the head gasket blew the fire ring out on #7 cylinder.:agreed::agreed:

IMG_1960_20.jpg IMG_1961_21.jpg

IMG_1962_22.JPG IMG_1963_23.jpg

IMG_1964_24.jpg IMG_1965_25.jpg

IMG_1966_26.jpg

After finding where the head gasket blew out we took a look at the:skep: supposedly "new" clutch. We found oblonged holes and cracks on the resurfaced[not new by any means] pressure plate.:WTF: Also some" hot spotting" starting on the friction surface of the pressure plate.:mad2: The single mass flywheel didn't look the best either. The clutch disc looked rather thin to me.:???: Does any one know how thick a new disc is?:???:

IMG_1967_27.JPG IMG_1968_28.JPG

IMG_1969_29.JPG IMG_1970_30.jpg

IMG_1971_31.JPG IMG_1973_32.JPG

The oil pan will be coming off today to see how bad the bearings are trashed.:yikes: :yikes:

The inside of the engine made me loose my appetite. Thats sir is one gummed up nasty beast! I would really like to see what the mains/bearings look like so I might no what expect when I pull Ol' Blues engine :eek: :hihi: . Mine had its guts worked out and yours was badly maintained should be comparable.

I had the same deal on the bell housing bolts once. They were so tight I thought I was going to bust a vein, but as soon as they broke lose you would hit your nuckles on something and they were finger tight after that.

Looks like lots of clean up to do.

The inside of the engine made me loose my appetite. Thats sir is one gummed up nasty beast! I would really like to see what the mains/bearings look like so I might no what expect when I pull Ol' Blues engine :eek: :hihi: . Mine had its guts worked out and yours was badly maintained should be comparable.

This wasn't really badly maintained. It was driven with a blown head gasket. The anti-freeze turns the oil to sludge when it is mixed. Just that it can't hardly be pumped and doesn't really lubricate.

I had the same deal on the bell housing bolts once. They were so tight I thought I was going to bust a vein, but as soon as they broke lose you would hit your nuckles on something and they were finger tight after that.

Looks like lots of clean up to do.
No real blood letting. I had to use a 1/2" drive breaker bar to get the bottom 4 loose and a cheater on the wrench to get the top 2 loose.
The sludge actually cleans up fairly easy in the parts washer.:agreed: I am still going to have a parts cooking session. I have tons of parts that can be cooked up:eek::thumbsup:
There will be lots more with the 2 trucks I kill.:cool:

From What I see ,at this point,This engine can be fixed.

I pulled the oil pan off tonight. I took 1 rod cap and the front main bearing cap off.[these are last in line for oil besides the turbo]

IMG_1974_1.JPG IMG_1975_2.JPG

#1 Main bearing cap #1 main bearing journal

IMG_1976_3.JPG IMG_1977_4.JPG
Connecting rod cap Connecting Rod journal

IMG_1978_5.jpg
Oil pan with lots of the sludge

There is no copper showing and only very light scratches. The front main is showing some signs of wear but with 308,000 miles that is expected. I'll have to get some plastigauge and see just how loose it really is but it looks much better than I was expecting. The hardest part could be flushing the block and oiling system out.

I'd say the block is a for sure hot tank candidate. I don't see any other way to get all that crap out. Bearings look WAY better than I would have guessed.

Back