• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A little about our Project '70 Chevelle

Cumminalong

Doghouse Diesel Performance
Reaction score
Though I'd post a few pics of our current project in the shop.

This is my partner Tom's '70 Chevelle.

Slide3-1.jpg

Chevelle.jpg

It's running a 454 stroked to 496, backed up by a manual VB'd Turbo 400, spinning a spooled 12 bolt (soon to be replaced by a D60).

On spray the car runs 9.30's, but with this next round of mod's we're looking to get it into the 8's.

TomsChevelle2.jpg

Right now we just got done rebuilding the motor to take it from a nitrous motor to a turbo motor.

Slide2-2.jpg

Slide3-3.jpg

Slide2-3.jpg

Slide3-4.jpg

The turbo that is going in is a Garrett 4718. We custom made the headers, pedestal, intercooler piping and exhaust. BOV and wastegate are JGS 50mm's.

This combo should be putting down 1000HP at 10 psi on pump gas and 1200 - 1400 at 26 psi on race gas.

Slide1-1.jpg

Slide2-1.jpg

Slide4-1.jpg

Slide5.jpg

Here's some of the mock-up pics of the piping using a Holset HX50 in place of the Garrett.

Slide3-2.jpg

Slide4.jpg

This past week, we stripped the front of the car.....

Slide1-2.jpg

Slide1-3.jpg

Welded in the motor mounts to elimate that problem.....

Slide1-5.jpg

And rebuilt the trans last night.....

Slide1-4.jpg

Slide2-4.jpg

Slide3-5.jpg

The last piece of the puzzle that we're waiting on is the custom carb from C&S.

Once that get's here (next week or so) we should have it all back together and ready for tuning.

After that, it gets put into the hands of Brian to get it to hook. Brian, a friend of ours, can pretty much get a car to hook on gravel, so it'll be in capable hands.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Here are some photos of the final fitment before we pulled it all back apart for final welding before everything gets ground down and sent out for coating.....

Fab-1.jpg

Fab-2.jpg

Fab-3.jpg

Fab-4.jpg

Goodness...

I am smiling ear to ear. :smile5:

Enter GiGANTO-Turbo! Whoa. What kind of mods are you doing on the Blow through Holley?

The poor little TH400...:eek: It's gonna be cussing at you.

I would love to hear that thing! If you ever get a chance to do a video, please post it here....Awesome. My older brother had a '70 Chevelle. Silver w/ black stripes.

Wow, Excellent work. Looks great! :thumbsup:

We're not modifying the carb at all, it's being built specifically for the motor. We spec'd it withj C&S and are letting them work they're magic on it.

The 400 we have in the car is already built. It'll hold up "okay" behind it....for now.

Plans are to pull it and put a PowerGlide in it. But, that'll be further down the road. As long as the 400 stays together it'll do fine. The car is going to be a daily driver, not just a track queen.

They're will be plenty of video.

Here's a bit more of what is hiding in the car.

Fuel cell, Aeromotive A1000 pump and Optima Red top in the trunk.....

Slide2-6.jpg

If the rear end so much as makes a peep, it's getting pulled out and a spooled D60 is going in.....

Slide1-6.jpg

A quote from in between the many beautiful pictures above..:thumbsup:

This combo should be putting down 1000HP at 10 psi on pump gas and 1200 - 1400 at 26 psi on race gas.

Should just about pause the earth's rotation for about 8 seconds.

I'll get some pics of the two 'vettes we have in the shop right now two. We've actually had these for almost 2 years now; they're a husband and wife's retirement presents to each other.

One is a '65 Stingray, the other is a '70 convertible.

We kinda have to keep them out of sight, as they are doing them for each other and neither knows what the other is having done to the car.

Everytime one of them comes over, we have to cover up the other car so they don't see it.

The husband has dropped quite a bit of coin on the '70 (his wifes), it's been completely dissassembled and redone from the frame up. This is the typ of car you hop in and drive across country in.

Now the '65 is the one the wife is doing for him. She's not spending much on the looks of it, it's still in almost perfect shape for a 45 year old car. The main thing she wanted was a bit more power out of it (go figure, the husband wants more power) and wanted all the factory accessories to work. So the main things we've done on that is rebuilt the 350 and stroked it to 383, put a nice set of Edelbrock heads and intake manifold on it, VERY mild cam so it would still be completely streetable.

Next thing she wants is a new clutch for it, so she's trying to coax some info from him and see what he wants without it being obvious.

Kinda cool, neither of them knows what the other is having done to the cars.

Nothing real exciting going on with the car this week.

Just touching up paint on the frame, firewall, wheel wells, etc....

Waiting on the new carb to get here.

Absolutely sick engine - nice work!

Once you get it running post a video or two from your tuning sessions. I wanna hear that bad boy!!!

Oh, there's gonna be plenty of video.

I'm gettin' so excited to hear this puppy sing, I can't stand it.

*drool*...very nice stuff there...I also had a bud with a Chevelle. His was an SS396 and it was sweet.

Loved the pic pulling the front wheels...that takes some serious beans...

*drool*...very nice stuff there...I also had a bud with a Chevelle. His was an SS396 and it was sweet.

Loved the pic pulling the front wheels...that takes some serious beans...

That's not the highest it's pulled the tires.

Before Tom had the nitrous dialed in it hit so hard it put the back bumper on the ground at Montgomery.

Before we pulled everything, the first stage (150 shot) was on a micro switch that activated as soon as the car was at WOT. It was tied to the trans brake so that as you staged it wouldn't fire the spray. But, as soon as you came off the trans brake, it hit.

The second stage (175 shot) was on the wheel.

Any way you stretch it, that Chevelle is an awesome display of physics.

Have you ever ran a pass with no nitrous? Did it yank the front off the ground then?

On motor alone, with no spray, it was making approx 558 HP, based on weight, ET and speed through the traps. It was never on the dyno.

Normally you won't see a car lift if it's not a nitrous car. Yeah, you have some seriously built monsters out there that will, but if you see it lift, he's probably spraying.

I doubt the car is gonna lift now, even with the turbo. It's not nearly as harsh.

Absolutely nothing hits like nitrous does off the line.

I have a feeling the problem now is going to blowing the tires off when it hits 3rd gear. 1st will be fine, 2nd's gonna be a bit of a test, but I think 3rd is gonna give us issues. Once that turbo is fully spooled and the engine is up in the RPM range, I don't think those little 10.5 rears are gonna stay glued.

Back