• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A good MIG welder?

Hobart is nothing more than a rebadged miller, a few yars back they where cheaper built that is no longer the case, they are built to the same quality as the miller just not as heavily optioned. I own Miller products only due to the fact that I have had so much good luck with them. Lincoln is also a good welder but I have never been in to them really, just not what I was raised and taught on, I was taught to weld on miller and have made alot money useing miller products so so that is how you become biased, much like we all do with our trucks, they are all good trucks and they all have there own strong, and weak points. The same is true with welders

I like Miller too but for home use the lincoln is more cost effective if you want to add aluminum,from what I have read anyway. Still shopping myself. Any of the three are more than adequate for home user. I was raised on Miller too. Of course my first welder was a Tombstone(doesn't everyone have one in thier garage ?) Have not used it in a long time but still keep it around. I have a Ranger 8 now.

Old thread I know but I bought a Millermatic 180 with a cart, the welder its self is less than a year old and supposedly only has 2-3 hours on it. Going to pick it up tommorow, :D $450 I think I did alright.

I guess I am getting old at times but I have the access to the shop if I need anything to get it welded so I just drive over it is only a mile. Have a welder at home and dont blast me guys but in my yrs of work I found that as soon as I had it at home to use all the guys needing anything fixed come to see me so I solved it by NOT having anything at home. When I built my garage addition I had the service upped to 150 and I have that nice box in the garage for a welder if I need it but I wont put one in .
I guess I dont undersand why the dryer box wont work, it is usually a 20 or 30 amp breaker and should work.?? Maybe an electriction will see this and let me know why it dont.
It will. Like Got-h20 said he was running his on. But that is all dependent on the load. If you are just welding light, then no problem. But if you are welding heavy or for long periods you'll pop it. If all you have to weld is sheet metal, chances are you'd be fine. Another problem would be that the wiring for a 30 amp circuit is only #10. That will make the equipment work harder and less efficient for the same work. Think about the kitchen in some older houses. The circuit is usually fine to run the toaster, the coffee maker and the microwave when you only run one to two at a time. But when you fully load it, it pops. That's essentially the same thing you are doing here. When you are welding sheet metal, you are only making one piece of toast. But when you are welding a frame, you're making toast for you, the kids and the wife. She likes coffee just as much as you, and you just can't resist a couple breakfast burritos.

As far as the welders are concerned, just get a good 220v used one. I have my Dad's old hobart beta mig 250. It's awesome. It will weld anything and will never let you down. It was built in 1983. It has been abused it's entire life. I pulled it apart just to see what it looked like inside and some places had an inch of crud! It was run outside most of the time, and that's not the kind of welding this was made for. It's supposed to be in a garage. My Dad had finally built a garage, but it had a sand floor. This thing was inhaling crap and left in the elements and never complained.

Old thread I know but I bought a Millermatic 180 with a cart, the welder its self is less than a year old and supposedly only has 2-3 hours on it. Going to pick it up tommorow, :D $450 I think I did alright.
It is tapped or continuos ?
If it's continous that is a very good deal.
If it's tapped ok deal.

It is tapped or continuos ?
If it's continous that is a very good deal.
If it's tapped ok deal.

Continuous, but I was all ready to go pick it up last thrusday, and then right before I was ready to go they called me and told me to get in saturday or sunday, and now they wont return my calls, I think it was one of those to good to be true deals. oh well, wont hurt my feelings to much if I have to buy a new one.

Continuous, but I was all ready to go pick it up last thrusday, and then right before I was ready to go they called me and told me to get in saturday or sunday, and now they wont return my calls, I think it was one of those to good to be true deals. oh well, wont hurt my feelings to much if I have to buy a new one.
Sounds like maybe he was trying to sell a new one to someone and was getting one in on trade and didn't quite have the deal wrapped up.

Back