• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A few lighting upgrades for my '83.

83GMCK2500

Reaction score
GMT-800 DRW rear clearance light:
2011-04-27_19-02-58_300.jpg

2011-04-27_19-02-49_933.jpg

I had this for my '07 but since that isn't going to happen I wanted to put it on something. I installed it this last weekend, centering it and filing the holes to the proper square dimensions for the OEM clips that I purchased with the light. David (88GMCTruck) finished up the wiring tonight for me.

This weekend when I was underneath the truck looking it over (ujoints, adjust clutch, oil change, etc) I noticed that my license plate lights were non-existent. The lenses were there, but no bulbs or sockets.

4,300K H4 HIDs:
--Low--
2011-04-27_19-04-10_796.jpg

--High--
2011-04-27_19-04-15_729.jpg

2011-04-27_19-03-37_248.jpg

2011-04-27_19-03-43_45.jpg

2011-04-27_19-03-52_499.jpg

2011-04-27_19-03-58_826.jpg

These are the preliminary aiming pictures on the garage door at dusk, so there is still quite a bit of natural light out. If it wasn't raining like the dickens right now I'd have full night shots to share.

A couple months ago I picked up a bulb & ballast kit for my headlights. I have been looking for a nice set of Bosch or Hella H4 lenses in the H6054 size. Those have a tendency to be rather $$$ and a friend of mine just happened to have a set of E-Code Autopal lenses that he would GIVE me so guess what? Yup, went with the Autopals for the time being. This is all temporary anyway (couple years) as this truck will eventually get the dual beam core support, grille, and associated parts and I will HID it properly then.

I'm just glad that I found connectors that worked with your OEM licence plate harness. I think this is the first GM LED clearance light I've seen on a square and I really like it.

ya, so when is it going to stop raining around here??

Nice look on the tailgate. Dad's '84 had the series of 5 across the tailgate itself above the handle. I think it made it look really nice (until the ground wire came loose and they would flicker going down the road, then it looked dumb). I'd like to do something like that to mine someday....just because. :D

The Autopal's are E-code lights, and have a nice clean cut-off line with the H4 HID. Trust me, I wouldn't let him blind people unintentionally.

For the Money, Autopal's are ok, but if you Spend a lil more for Hella's, you get a good Bump in Light Output.

IPF might even make a 6054 Housing, and that will be just as Good as Hella for Less Money.

For the Money, Autopal's are ok, but if you Spend a lil more for Hella's, you get a good Bump in Light Output.

IPF might even make a 6054 Housing, and that will be just as Good as Hella for Less Money.

EDIT: Yep, IPF Makes one. It's P/N 820H

For the cost (free) they do pretty damned well. I don't notice much of a difference between the autopals and the bosch e-codes in my 88 as far as pattern goes. The biggest thing with any e-code h4 is having the bulb shield.

It's not so much the Bulb Shield, but the Light Pattern Created by the Lens.

Look at a DOT Lens VS ECE. You'll See where the Light Pattern gets its Flare from.

It's not so much the Bulb Shield, but the Light Pattern Created by the Lens.

Look at a DOT Lens VS ECE. You'll See where the Light Pattern gets its Flare from.
I realize the light pattern is created by the glass, but the cutoff in that pattern with any H4 (ECE or DOT) is via a bulb shield. Halogen H4 bulbs have the small cup under the lowbeam filament (as i'm sure you know), and H4 hids need the same shield to create a similar quality of light output. You throw an unshielded H4 HID in that ECE housing and it's like being on highbeam all the time.

I have two styles of Bosch e-code lights in my 88: one is the typical flared style, the other is straight cut (intended as a highbeam only). The highbeam e-code is almost identical to my DOT sealed beams. Now, the DOT sealed beams (low and high) have no bulb shielding, so they throw light all over. Now, take either the flared cut or the straight cut e-code bosch I have, with the shielded bulb they BOTH have a cutoff line, one is just straight. Put the unshielded bulb in either, and there is no cutoff, just light thrown everywhere.

You don't have to explain ECE vs. DOT to me, I'm well aware of what exists and the differences between the two. I was simply stating that with an e-code housing the bulb shield is important as it is what stops the light from entering the upper portion of the housing.

As far as Devin's lights go, while they are substantially brighter than the sealed beams he took out, they are not offensive. I stood down then end of the road in the rain, and they are just clean, white light that doesn't have glare, exactly how it should be.

I've got crappy Ebay "projector" housings (projector because it looks like one, but isn't at all) and the light output is terrible...but i bought them for looks. They need HID's in them to even be able to see at night. Soon i'm gonna hack these up and retrofit an actual projector housing in each of them. It's gonna be expensive but nothing on this truck seems to be cheap anymore LOL

ya, so when is it going to stop raining around here??

Nice look on the tailgate. Dad's '84 had the series of 5 across the tailgate itself above the handle. I think it made it look really nice (until the ground wire came loose and they would flicker going down the road, then it looked dumb). I'd like to do something like that to mine someday....just because. :D

I have no idea, but I am ready for some sunshine and warmth. I, too, like the look of the 5 on the tailgate, but I couldn't bring myself to do that to mine.

Back