• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

a/c compressor@TD

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
Reaction score
TD i seen in a post at the other place where you said your cooling fan was pullin' 20 HP off your engine read from your scan tool....would it show how many HP the a/c compressor pulls?.....i have read 7 to 14 HP dependin' on load of system...

Gary

I think he is talking about the "Kennedy Special Calibrated" fan clutch (which I have) and it is a HP thief.......that being said, I have never ran over 195* after install.

All fan clutches are power thiefs, the Kennedy was worst I've run for mpg as when it kicks in it stays locked in, especially with the steel fan blade, the OEM clutch tends to make them run hotter because they kick in later, Heath kicks in sooner than OEM and you see the engine load increase, but it cycles in & out as opposed to just engage and stay engaged like I saw with my Kennedy fan, the KF works well & keeps things cool, but with other mods I have to keep the truck cool I don't need it engaged as long as it does.

Last edited:
Oh on a/c it's been a while since I looked, IIRC that shows about 18 pound foot torque load when 1st engaged, to 11#' to sustain the compressor load, here in MS summer I run it max cool so it stays engaged all time, in winter IIRC you gain maybe .5-1 mpg when a/c is off, windows up and heater on.

Damn!!! i just received and installed my Kennedy fan clutch + steel fan blade---

Get a Dmax fan Blade........I got one from the stealer for about $50.00 w/ shop discount.
I made the same mistake.........Kennedy swears the metal 20" blade works better than the 21" (composite) Dmax, with "his" clutch.
I found the opposite to be true.

no no no no no you do NOT trim the fan! you trim the shroud, since if you trim the fan you will undoubted throw it off balance and after miles of driving it will eventually explode under the hood. The D-Max fan is bigger and moves more air while being lighter.

Back