• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

99 Grand Am 3.4 no start/stay running

DEERE3594

I welcome everyone...not just Penguins!
Reaction score
I have a 99 Grand Am that wont start unless I hold the pedal down. Wont idle. No codes. Any ideas?

Not sure but that engine and the 3.1 are notorious for having the head gaskets fail.

I'm going out a limb here, as it is quite different, but it is still a computer controlled GM car, so here it goes!

Dad's friend was working on his GF's car 1990 Buick (idk the model), similar simptoms, no start/run, if nailed it would run a few secs, let off, dies. he changed the computer, got one from a salvage yard, to my understanding didn't change PROM,(pretty sure it wouldve had one)(parts yard guy said it would be fine as is) and the car ran great afterwards.

But i would think that in your case, the CALPAK should at least star the car (CALPAK is used to keep fuel system going when computer partially melts down, (Dad's 98 has it, IDK about the cars.)

So i guess you could try a used computer from a salvage yard, but switch the prom to keep stuff the same. IDK if this will work, but if it is cheap, it may be worth a shot.

Keep it cheap though, as i'm not sure at all if this will work.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply GM Guy, I should have updated that after I posted I tried again and it started and ran fine.. Ive put 150 miles on it, no problems.. I hope it was a fluke thing but I will remember your post if it happens again. Thank you sir!

Back