• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

99 Chevy c3500 front end lift?

Potluckslammy

Reaction score
Truck chassis only has about 150K on it, but the front end is sagging a little more than I would like. What's the remedy, new springs...aftermarket springs...retrofit from something bigger?

Found my own answer today at the parts store. They had a coil spring booster that goes under the spring...looks like a donut, in two thicknesses. That should raise up the front and level it out.

If springs are worn out and sagging from being compressed under weight for years, then you and coil
Spring spacers to take up the gap, you wont improve the ride it will get worse. You loose suspension travel. But yes it can be higher.

New springs is the right answer.

The only time to choose spacers is if the springs use full suspension travel, are the right tension for the weight of the rig, and you still need more lift to get it to desired height.

@Will L. ... Rides rough as a box car, unless it's got weight on it. I guess it's not really sagging, or not terribly so. But me thinks it could do with an extra inch up front. Don't have any pictures at the moment.

@snarl95 ... Coil springs up front. It's not the HD model, which I believe was a different setup.

Riding rough, and you are going to compress the springs more with a spacer- means it will ride even more rough.

If you are going to use the full weight capacity of the rig, get new springs to factory spec.

If you are jot going to load it as heavy as factory design, get lighter springs.

Hmmwv owners see an easy example of this. Hummers and hmmwvs are 4 Wheel independent coils. And almost all hmmwvs come with the heaviest rated springs meant for 1.25 tons offroad capable. Because mass production and they dont know what it’s end use will be so it gets over built.
Then they drive around empty, and its like a buck board. Drop off big curb or rock and suspension never even collapses a bit.
When they put in some of the lighter springs and it rides like a whole new rig. “better than my Mercedes” is a common comment afterwards.

If you dont have a high end suspension shop near you that understands how to set up springs for you- then just get new stock ones.

Remember the spring is there to absorb the load, and the shock is there to stop the spring return rate.

Back