• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

'99 350 7.3 delayed loping

BarrickJ180

Reaction score
Howdy, I am currently at my wit's end with this powerstroke. I just replaced the oil pan and gasket. Then I put it up for sale, at which point the check engine light came on and it began loping. Now it starts and runs smoothly for about 10-15 seconds, then the light comes on and a few seconds later it begins loping again. When loping, the throttle is very touchy, a little movement gets a big reaction. It doesn't lose any power(actually feels like it has more power), but acts like it has an engine brake when trying to maintain speed. I've been battling it for about a week now, just throwing sensors and filters at it, but don't want to spend $1500-$2000 on a scanner I'm only going to use once. Please help, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to TTS!

While not trying to steer away good members, these questions are likely to get even better responses on one of the 7.3 forums like PSN, PSA, and FTE.

For the loping, am sure that connecting a good scanner to the OBD-II will help find out what the truck's computer is complaining about. Seeing as the SES light is triggering, chances are good that a cheap scanner will see at least one code, but without better software, it is still like trying to grope in the dark.

From the description of it feeling like driving with an engine brake, it is possible that the back-pressure valve is stuck closed. Then again, it is possibly from the computer retarding the fuel due to the SES status.

Toward the oil pan replacement, was the motor pulled and flipped over? Reason for the question is that I had read where not doing this will allow oil to prevent a good seal. Also, IIRC, that oil pan does not use a gasket even though some manufacturers sell them (it uses sealant).

For about 25 bucks a code/engine condition scanner can be had that connects through blue tooth or wifi. It possibly could be an o2 sensor, if them Fords uses one.

Thanks everyone. I'm selling the truck as-is, I'm leaving for Alaska the end of the month and can afford no more time on it.

Back