• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

98deg and no overheating!

HighSierra86

Reaction score
So for anyone who thinks a cooling system upgrade is a must for towing...I am running a 96 chevy with dual t-stats and factory equiped blade and clutch. All original with acdelco t-stats. Last two days have been 95-100deg here and I have been towing the excavator up and down interstate 95 with a combined weight of truck and trailer over 18,000lbs. Engine temperature would barely reach 200deg...normally hung around the 185-190 mark.

Im my opinion, a correctly maintained and operating cooling system works just fine for these trucks. My truck even runs the dual t-stat housing which many say isnt as good as the single housing. Just thought people might be interested to hear that tid-bit of information before they go out and spend money on all these "cooling upgrades"

-Nick

IMG_1087.jpg

So for anyone who thinks a cooling system upgrade is a must for towing...I am running a 96 chevy with dual t-stats and factory equiped blade and clutch. All original with acdelco t-stats. Last two days have been 95-100deg here and I have been towing the excavator up and down interstate 95 with a combined weight of truck and trailer over 18,000lbs. Engine temperature would barely reach 200deg...normally hung around the 185-190 mark.

Im my opinion, a correctly maintained and operating cooling system works just fine for these trucks. My truck even runs the dual t-stat housing which many say isnt as good as the single housing. Just thought people might be interested to hear that tid-bit of information before they go out and spend money on all these "cooling upgrades"

-Nick

View attachment 33724

My K-5 surprised me too. Pulling a 7% mile and 1/2 long grade with the A/C on it did fine. At the top of the hill the temp gauge came up to right around 200-205 once i stopped at the light at the top of the hill.

My 96 never had an issue with temps. It would show just like your photo and then it would come back down to the 1/4 gauge mark. It makes me wonder if the A/C condenser is really that much of a restriction? That truck has no A/C from the factory, and it runs normal temps towing, hauling, etc and that's stock HO WP, twin stat housing, original radiator as far as i can tell(195K miles).

My K-5 surprised me too. Pulling a 7% mile and 1/2 long grade with the A/C on it did fine. At the top of the hill the temp gauge came up to right around 200-205 once i stopped at the light at the top of the hill.

My 96 never had an issue with temps. It would show just like your photo and then it would come back down to the 1/4 gauge mark. It makes me wonder if the A/C condenser is really that much of a restriction? That truck has no A/C from the factory, and it runs normal temps towing, hauling, etc and that's stock HO WP, twin stat housing, original radiator as far as i can tell(195K miles).

Ive got a/c on mine and dont really notice much of a difference with it on or off. Original radiator as well.

Dave how are you liking that banks settup on the blazer? I havent been to chuck and eddies lately, but the last time I was there I didnt see a single gm diesel. Plenty of fords though :hihi:

-Nick

Thanks for the info Nick.

I agree as well... I spent money for a new fan clutch this spring thinking the larger trailer would need it... The fan has yet to engage! Which is good because that means that the stock cooling system is keeping her cool with no help at all. At worst she has heated up to what I guess is 205 at one point.

Great point!

I adjusted the bi-metal coil on my fan clutch by 1/8 inch (outward making the clutch engage sooner) , the fan now comes on with AC and 80f days, right about when the thermostat opens. (I found the instructions and info in one of these forums) I did adjust it to about 1/4 inch outward the first time and the clutch was too sensitive. I'm very happy with the results, it take 1/2 hour in total and is free.

Ive got a/c on mine and dont really notice much of a difference with it on or off. Original radiator as well.

Dave how are you liking that banks settup on the blazer? I havent been to chuck and eddies lately, but the last time I was there I didnt see a single gm diesel. Plenty of fords though :hihi:

-Nick

Nick,

Haven't been to C&E in a while either. It seems the GM diesels are hard to find even there. I've seen maybe a handle in the few years i've been going there, and they are usually there for non-engine related problems. Wrecks, rusted/rotted body/frames, etc. No time to go to C&Es as on my days off I'm busy fixing up my trucks with new parts, like fuel lines, brake lines, and fuel tanks. :mad2: The 96's fuel lines and tank succumbed to rust last week. Steel return line was leaking, tank looked to be next so i replaced it.

This week i've got to re-wire an engine bay in a 93 W350 cummins, then hopefully i can get started on the front brake lines/hoses/calipers on my 96. The lines haven't failed....yet but they look like they are on the edge of failure. Can't save the calipers as the bleeders have rotted off so theres where the hoses and calipers come in. :mad2:

After driving the K-5 day in day out, then going for a drive around the block in the pickup, the K-5s engine can breathe so much better. Guess the pickups next big thing will be the HX40Wii over the current GM-8. It's only money right? :hihi:

On a recent weekend of highway travel from Orange to Terryville/Plymouth i was hitting 25 mpg+ in the K-5. I was very impressed.

Perhaps we'll cross paths again soon. Been debating a 6.5 GTG cookout at my place this summer. Still trying to find the time though.

My 93 stays right on under 210 with the AC on high and grossing 30K. Has a new clutch and radiator from the previous owner, said the radiator tank was leaking and the clutch never engaged when it went over 210 (he said it never went past the next line above 210 but it was hotter than he liked). Now it wont even get to 210!

My 95 never went past 220 towing ~8K. It has stock 280K mile radiator, dmax fan (got it on a trade), and new fan clutch.

nick, I bet the NV4500 helps too!

I take it yours is a late 96 with the OEM K47 box and dual t-stats?

I think the NV4500 helps with alot of things....my sore clutch knee not being one of them.

Truck is a late 96 with dual stats but it had the factory flat panel air box. Ive got a K47 w/amsoil filter in there now though.

-Nick

Nick,

Haven't been to C&E in a while either. It seems the GM diesels are hard to find even there. I've seen maybe a handle in the few years i've been going there, and they are usually there for non-engine related problems. Wrecks, rusted/rotted body/frames, etc. No time to go to C&Es as on my days off I'm busy fixing up my trucks with new parts, like fuel lines, brake lines, and fuel tanks. :mad2: The 96's fuel lines and tank succumbed to rust last week. Steel return line was leaking, tank looked to be next so i replaced it.

This week i've got to re-wire an engine bay in a 93 W350 cummins, then hopefully i can get started on the front brake lines/hoses/calipers on my 96. The lines haven't failed....yet but they look like they are on the edge of failure. Can't save the calipers as the bleeders have rotted off so theres where the hoses and calipers come in. :mad2:

After driving the K-5 day in day out, then going for a drive around the block in the pickup, the K-5s engine can breathe so much better. Guess the pickups next big thing will be the HX40Wii over the current GM-8. It's only money right? :hihi:

On a recent weekend of highway travel from Orange to Terryville/Plymouth i was hitting 25 mpg+ in the K-5. I was very impressed.

Perhaps we'll cross paths again soon. Been debating a 6.5 GTG cookout at my place this summer. Still trying to find the time though.

I actually went to C&E yesterday in hopes of finding a computer to send to heath as a core. I had a spare but I either lost it, or it grew legs and walked away. Not a single 6.2 or 6.5 in the yard and nothing on the shelf. Guy said he rarely sees the gm diesels, lots of fords though. I did score a temp mirror and harness however for $20...Been looking for one of those for a while, hopefully it works.

I might have a set of decent GM fuel lines if you want. They were from my 96, but I went with multi-fuel rubber hose from NAPA instead. Yea and have fun with those brake lines, I just re-did all of mine with that polly coated stuff. I will never again use regular lines as they are rusted within 2 years here.

Glad to see the blazer is going good, thats some impressive fuel mileage. Id love to find a banks settup for our 89' 3500. Id be game for a local GTG, would be nice to talk to some people that share the same interest in these trucks.

-Nick

-Nick

View attachment 33724

Try towing that up a significant grade in the same conditions and you'll be running for the cooling upgrades, which aren't that expensive. After all the obvious cooling retrofits, the ATT Turbo is the ultimate cooling upgrade. Trust me, been there and done that.

-Nick

View attachment 33724

Try towing that up a significant grade in the same conditions and you'll be running for the cooling upgrades, which aren't that expensive. After all the obvious cooling retrofits, the ATT Turbo is the ultimate cooling upgrade. Even with all the upgrades, I can get the truck over 210 when towing my bass boat up to Big Bear Lake (1,500' at base of the mountain, 7,100' at the peak pass). Trust me, been there and done that.

Try towing that up a significant grade in the same conditions and you'll be running for the cooling upgrades, which aren't that expensive. After all the obvious cooling retrofits, the ATT Turbo is the ultimate cooling upgrade. Even with all the upgrades, I can get the truck over 210 when towing my bass boat up to Big Bear Lake (1,500' at base of the mountain, 7,100' at the peak pass). Trust me, been there and done that.

If you can get your truck that hot towing a fiberglass boat you prob have other issues.

Granted the roads in CT arent like the rocky mountains, but we do have alot of steep and rolling hills here. It sure as hell isnt flat. My truck is in front of a trailer probably 75% of the time all across the state. Im towing anything from skid steers, tractors, mini excavators, chippers, trucks, or abnormally large plants like today....
IMG_1136.jpg
That being said, Ive ran up and down alot of steep grades towing some decent sized loads and Ive never had an issue with coolant temps. Any time of the year. I reliaze that it is a common issue with these trucks and some people have a hard time narrowing down what is actually causing the problem. My 95' would overheat quickly with small loads like you boat.

So even if the ATT was the "ultimate cooling upgrade" I dont see one in my future. Im very happy with how my truck performs, just thought I would share something on a posative note.

-Nick

If you can get your truck that hot towing a fiberglass boat you prob have other issues.

Granted the roads in CT arent like the rocky mountains, but we do have alot of steep and rolling hills here. It sure as hell isnt flat. My truck is in front of a trailer probably 75% of the time all across the state. Im towing anything from skid steers, tractors, mini excavators, chippers, trucks, or abnormally large plants like today....
View attachment 33800
That being said, Ive ran up and down alot of steep grades towing some decent sized loads and Ive never had an issue with coolant temps. Any time of the year. I reliaze that it is a common issue with these trucks and some people have a hard time narrowing down what is actually causing the problem. My 95' would overheat quickly with small loads like you boat.

So even if the ATT was the "ultimate cooling upgrade" I dont see one in my future. Im very happy with how my truck performs, just thought I would share something on a posative note.

-Nick

I think you completely underestimated the grade I was describing: 1,500' to 7,100' in 13 miles. The real bad section goes from 1,500' to 6,000' in about 8 miles. It's really not a function of the weight of the boat, it's the grade. If I really step on it, I can get it over 210 without towing. This engine has all the cooling mods, including the Heath water pump and Dmax fan. It is the coolest running 6.5 TD I've owned. I've been to and driven through CT, you've got hills at best.

We did all the cooling mods, except the ATT, on my son's '95. It now runs very cool. Couldn't say that when I bought it.

I think you completely underestimated the grade I was describing: 1,500' to 7,100' in 13 miles. The real bad section goes from 1,500' to 6,000' in about 8 miles. It's really not a function of the weight of the boat, it's the grade. If I really step on it, I can get it over 210 without towing. This engine has all the cooling mods, including the Heath water pump and Dmax fan. It is the coolest running 6.5 TD I've owned. I've been to and driven through CT, you've got hills at best.

We did all the cooling mods, except the ATT, on my son's '95. It now runs very cool. Couldn't say that when I bought it.

I agree with you completely that you are describing a steep and long grade. I think the length of time on the grade probably is your biggest factor in the overheating. I can still tell you that I have to worry about EGT's long before I have to worry about my coolant temperature. The GMx turbo does nothing to help with the exhaust temps that is for sure.

I am well aware of the terrain in california as I have family out there. Things are a bit different in california to say the least.

Most people think of CT and NY as one big city. The Vermonter's have even so graciously given us the name "flat-landers" :hihi:

-Nick

what model of GM turbo are you running nick?

if you upgraded to GM8, did you notice a difference from the GM5 or 6 your truck came with?

what model of GM turbo are you running nick?

if you upgraded to GM8, did you notice a difference from the GM5 or 6 your truck came with?

Stock GM5. From what I have heard there is very little difference if any when swapping to a gm8. Ive been looking towards a holset for years so that will probably be the next upgrade.

Just curious, for those seeing problems with overheating, are you running stock programing or an aftermarket tune?

Back