• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

98 Jimmy no start no crank good battery

A GOOD set of jumper cables are worth their weight in gold. Good, not $20 Wally Mart specials. At least 4 gauge, 200 Amp rated with heavy duty clamps. I carry a set of those in my Camry to jump other people/get jumped. In my 6.5TD K2500 Suburban, I carry a set of 24' 1gauge 500 Amp rated cables to jump other diesels/get jumped with.

WHOOHAA!! ITS RUNNING! Sounds like crap though haha
Don't let that engine die! A good long drive of 10-15 miles will fully charge up that battery. You definitely sound like you have a wiring issue to the starter. Check the terminal connector at the starter end of the purple wire when you get home. They will often corrode/fray at the crimp - causing low voltage to the starter solenoid when you turn the key to Start.

A GOOD set of jumper cables are worth their weight in gold. Good, not $20 Wally Mart specials. At least 4 gauge, 200 Amp rated with heavy duty clamps. I carry a set of those in my Camry to jump other people/get jumped. In my 6.5TD K2500 Suburban, I carry a set of 24' 1gauge 500 Amp rated cables to jump other diesels/get jumped with.
Sound advice thanks.

Yeah, those cheap Wally Mart and chain parts store jumper cables may look hefty, but they're just really thick insulation over small 14 gauge copper-coated aluminum wire and flimsy, copper coated "clamps" that are glorified alligator clips! Not good for an actual jump start of a really dead battery, better for sitting there for 30 minutes at fast idle and hoping they pass enough current to charge it up enough that you can start still connected to the other car. Harbor Freight has decent quality jumper cables, like 6 gauge copper and 200 amp rated, for the price.

The series of clicks is a situation of low voltage.
That can be caused from one or more of several things.
Low battery voltage, bad ground connection or a bad positive battery connection, or a combination of all of the above.
If there is more than one battery installed, be sure that all the cable ends are bright and shiny. If there is a lead slug between the two positive battery cables then be sure that lead spacer/slug is bright and shiny too.
Check the alternator output with a volt test meter. Should be around 14 volts with the engine at a higher idle, 1500 RPMs or so.

Back