• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

98 C2500 rear axle spring swap

fbh31118

Cadet
Reaction score
My friend has a 98 2500 with a 6.5td. He does a lot of towing with it and will be going to a one ton set of leafs in the rear. We plan on building a set of brackets for the overloads if we can't find a donor truck to get these bracket from. His question is 'what is the clearance between the over load leaf and the bracket that it contacts on the side of the frame', when the truck is unloaded? Also, is there an equal amount of 'air gap' between the bracket and spring from the front to the rear?

Just to be clear; I'm referring to the spring set that would be bolted to the top of the main spring set and contacts a set of brackets bolted to the frame.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Both my one tons ride on the helpers but they are probably sagging. With the flat bed on my 93 it might as well be a regular bed loaded.

I am pretty sure that ony cab and chassis trucks and most dually's had the helpers. We had to add the helpers on Ol'Blue in my sig.

I think your correct. We have the same problem as you, everyone else we talk to has worn out springs. If I have to I'll just take a guess as to where we would like it to hit level when loaded and go from there.

I could get some pics and measurements off my 97 k3500c&c. The frame on a c&c is different from a regular pickup. I have a 77GMC c3500 that has that set up also.

The 97 c&c has a 1 1/2" gap In front and 1" gap in the rear. The spacer between the sets of leafs is 1". That truck does have a little bit of a load with the 1000 lb + flat bed that is on it

IMG_1820_1.jpgIMG_1821_2.jpgIMG_1822_3.jpgIMG_1823_4.jpgIMG_1824_5.jpg

These pics are of the 77GMC c3500 It is a bit different from the 97. There is no spacer between the leafs and only 1 leaf with more arch in the overloads.It won't let me load any more on this reply so the pics of the 77 are in the next one

Back