• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

98.5 Cummins Automatic can't find correct gear

ircked

Reaction score
We recently purchased a 98.5 dodge 2500 cummins automatic. Here is the problem, when you hit about 45 it shifts up then down then up then down and all over. holy cow. I remember many years ago i drove a new one and it did the same thing. i was unimpressed. this seems to be worse. it continues even as you increase speed. does anyone know if one of the programmer units will fix this? is this a common problem on the automatics?

This is actually a pretty common problem.

The good thing is, there is USUALLY a very simple fix.......

Ya ready for this?..........

Clean your battery terminals.

Yup! That's right. Pull the battery cables off, clean them up really good and reconnect.

Betcha the problem goes away.

Even if that heals it, have the fluid and filter changed - not flushed: changed, which involves dropping the pan for the filter change - they'll try to talk you into a flush because it's more lucrative, but a '98 is sorta long in the tooth at 20yrs old, and as X# owner, you likely don't have any idea of the condition of the fluid and filter that currently resides there - have them let you look at the detritus in the bottom of the pan - if there's lots of brown\black wet powdery stuff, that's band and clutch material, and you should consider a rebuild

If the fluid doesn't have a burned odor, and the powder is only slight, they can go back together with it and adjust the bands for improved driveability

Next would be the throttle position sensor, which is like the volume controls on the old radios, B4 digital - they would get scratchy after awhile, and lubing them would stop the noise for a few days, but replacement always cured the problem - the throttle position sensor is a variable resistor just like those volume controls and has the same failure symptoms - when they go scratchy, the trans tries to respond - they're 'scratchiest' at normal traffic speed positions, around 30-35mph, 45mph, 55mph, 65mph

Yep, my bad with numbers, as usual - at only 10yrs old it still may have a short tooth or two - still should have the transmission properly serviced and checked for your own peace of mind - also, checking connections and grounds is a good idea, incl removing the corrosion around the battery terminals\cables - get those red\green battery-post felt washers, use vaseline on the posts and cable clamps to prevent reoccurance in damp weather

Back