• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

98 12 valve

whitetrash21

Put on the damn helmet day........
Reaction score
i got a friend with one. he's got a plate, turbo back, and afe intake tube/filter setup. seeing as how i'm not real familiar with cummins, whats the next best thing he could do for the truck to get more power and mileage out of it?? other than what i listed, the motor is all stock, and its got a 5spd manual.....

he's wondering what he should do next. injectors? intake manifold? exhaust manifold? turbo? whats necessary and what aint??

water meth is an option....turbo and studs is a good option...the 12v's are tricky to gain a lot of power out of...the 24v is a lot better and the CRD is way better, but you get into a lot of money to get those trucks...I'd say do a turbo and boost it....just remember boost is like a hot girl with herpes....you know you want to hit it your just afraid of the outcome

i got a friend with one. he's got a plate, turbo back, and afe intake tube/filter setup. seeing as how i'm not real familiar with cummins, whats the next best thing he could do for the truck to get more power and mileage out of it?? other than what i listed, the motor is all stock, and its got a 5spd manual.....

he's wondering what he should do next. injectors? intake manifold? exhaust manifold? turbo? whats necessary and what aint??

Get the Pump on a stand. Send it to Scheid, or Industrial Injection to be balanced.

Then get the timing set near 16-18 degrees.

Proper injectors help too. 370's are terribly dirty and inefficient for the most part.

I would look into some 215's that have been lightly honed (DDP) or a good set of 275's (DDP, Peak Diesel, Industrial Injection)

Make sure the Star wheel is adjusted for driveability, 2 turns in from stock.

That will do :)

A decent turbo would be a Cool Twist from BellUSB, or stock over a K31 (talk to Nathan at MPI)

Studs are needed on the single layer gasket on a 12V over 45 PSIG.

Manifolds are not a huge help on the exhaust side, and when you do Twins you will flip it anyhow.

The Banks Twin Ram Intake manifold looks trick and seems to wake up some trucks, and not others.

I would get the pump on a stand, and pop test the injectors... how many miles on them, and the trucks maint history will help us.

5 speed 4.10's or 3.55's?

hey juice...I didn't know you were a fellow cummins owner!!! NICE!!!!

LMAO. Been one for a while!

1997 215 P Pumped 3.55 NV4500 4x4 The usual Tweaks
2000 24V NV5600 3.55 4x4 Dad's truck, mostly stock with PDR 35
2002 DMX Alli extLB4x4 MPI Twin Turbo
2006 Dodge QCLB 4x4 TSTRAP49 SMARTY REVO R SPS62/14 Bladerunner intake

Yup... a couple here and there.

I see you went to the dark side and came back to us though

Oh, the Duramax was a fine truck and served me well. Apart from just getting a little tired, i would have kept it.
260K and still on original brakes and front end!

My Dodge is doing much the same job, as the Duramax was. So far the CTD is a little less $$$ to run, but when the front end needs work, I know what a pain in the wallet that is!

But the accountant told me it was time for a new vehicle so.... i went back to Dodge for a change.

A decent turbo would be a Cool Twist from BellUSB, or stock over a K31 (talk to Nathan at MPI)

Studs are needed on the single layer gasket on a 12V over 45 PSIG.

Manifolds are not a huge help on the exhaust side, and when you do Twins you will flip it anyhow.

The Banks Twin Ram Intake manifold looks trick and seems to wake up some trucks, and not others.

I would get the pump on a stand, and pop test the injectors... how many miles on them, and the trucks maint history will help us.

5 speed 4.10's or 3.55's?

trucks got ~150k, he got it with about 125k on the clock. seems to run great, noisy like a only 12v can be. :D ... as far as rear, what rpo codes mean what?? its on 35's and he still doesn't use first gear as its almost too deep. that makes me think 4.10s....

what kind of work can be done to the pump to make it "better"?? like i said he's got a plate, i'll have to ask about the star wheel and whether he's messed with it or not. stock injectors too.

Get the Pump on a stand. Send it to Scheid, or Industrial Injection to be balanced.

what can he expect performance and cost on this??

Then get the timing set near 16-18 degrees.

garage work or specialty stuff??

Proper injectors help too. 370's are terribly dirty and inefficient for the most part.

i take it 370's are stock??

I would look into some 215's that have been lightly honed (DDP) or a good set of 275's (DDP, Peak Diesel, Industrial Injection)

Make sure the Star wheel is adjusted for driveability, 2 turns in from stock.

That will do :)

like i said, im not real familiar with cummins sooooo..... :blush5:

he's not lookin for insane number's or performance, just a little more cheap gittyup and maybe some mileage. he's pullin ~18 for an avg right now....

thx for the help guys.

trucks got ~150k, he got it with about 125k on the clock. seems to run great, noisy like a only 12v can be. :D ... as far as rear, what rpo codes mean what?? its on 35's and he still doesn't use first gear as its almost too deep. that makes me think 4.10s....

what kind of work can be done to the pump to make it "better"?? like i said he's got a plate, i'll have to ask about the star wheel and whether he's messed with it or not. stock injectors too.

The rearend should have a tag on it.... or in the engine compartment there should be a tag stating rearend ratio.

Pumps can become 'tired' . Fuel contamination. But they can be made to flow equally on a pump stand. Expect 3-400.00 for the service but for mileage and power it is a great idea.

Timing can be set when you take the pump off to get it flowed.

Injectors are 215's stock. RV 275's seem to work better for mpg's than the stock 215's

370's are a big dirty poor atomizing injector when they are stock.

The trucks did not come with 370's stock.

The rearend should have a tag on it.... or in the engine compartment there should be a tag stating rearend ratio.

cool.... i'll have him check it.

Pumps can become 'tired' . Fuel contamination. But they can be made to flow equally on a pump stand. Expect 3-400.00 for the service but for mileage and power it is a great idea.

~ how much power would one expect to see out of this?? is the cost vs. improvement worth it?? thx for the help juice

Timing can be set when you take the pump off to get it flowed.

Injectors are 215's stock. RV 275's seem to work better for mpg's than the stock 215's

370's are a big dirty poor atomizing injector when they are stock.

The trucks did not come with 370's stock.

lets say between a set of 275's and gettin the pump worked, star wheel turned and maybe the timing set.... whats the cost and ~ how much would he get out of the truck with that?? rough numbers are fine, just looking for approximates...

once again, thanks guys....

~ how much power would one expect to see out of this?? is the cost vs. improvement worth it?? thx for the help juice

lets say between a set of 275's and gettin the pump worked, star wheel turned and maybe the timing set.... whats the cost and ~ how much would he get out of the truck with that?? rough numbers are fine, just looking for approximates...

once again, thanks guys....

Pumps on a 12V can be made to produce stoopid amounts of power. But a basic stand job, new stock plungers and barrels, flow testing will not net a bunch more power, but it will give you more mileage and equalize power across the cylinders.
If I had a 12V send it to Scheid or Piers or Industrial Injection, and tell them what power you want, and mileage, they will put together a package of P&B's for your pump. Call them for pricing.

As well, a set of good 12V 275 injectors. 6-800$$

Then get the pump timed to 16-18 degrees for best driveability. 19 is too high and will hurt headgaskets unless you stud.

This should burn through 2K pretty quick but make your 12V much more responsive and fun to drive. Check valve clearances as well since you are into it.

That's what I would attack first. After that a mild Twin setup would be good, 60lb valvesprings, and slide the fuel plate forward.
There is nothing as fun as a 450RWHP Twinned CTD for towing Bags of bottom end, and midrange... power everywhere actually, and no EGT issues.

sweet... thanks for the help juice. i'll get him all this and see if it will work for him. 2k aint too bad, something i think he can do.

Back