• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

97 k2500- Engine idles/runs rough, blue smoke, oil soaked intake

Steve93mustanglx

Diesel fanatic!
Reaction score
Problem: Explain your problem in concise language (ie: Cranks but won’t fire). Will start, run, and drive. Feels like it is down a cylinder. Blue smoke when runningDemographics: tell us about your truck and your ambient conditions:

- Year: 97
- Truck model and class k2500 long bed
- Automatic
- Mileage: 202k miles
- Replaced parts and mods (unknown- appears stock save for PMD relocated)
- Model: ‘F’ engine, Turbo,
- Ambient outside temp: 90F
- What fuel are you using? , #2 Diesel,
- What fuel additives are you using? n/A
- Where are you located? virginia

General maintenance: inspect and evaluate the condition of each. When were they last changed?
- Air filter _________
- Fuel filter _________
- CDR Valve? _________
- Coolant – last flushed/replaced at _____________
- Oil – synthetic/regular, changed at ___________
- Batteries – state of charge, (matched set) replaced at _____________
- Battery cables and grounds (removed, cleaned and tightened): ______________
- Glow Plugs - how many miles on them? _________ What type? _____________
- Injectors - last changed at _______________

History: (Describe how the problem first appeared.)
- What were you doing when it happened? driving
- Was the truck running fine before this problem appeared? yes
- Has this problem ever happened before? no
- Describe any related factors that might be part of the problem. ______________
- Have you checked for DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes)? No

Diagnostics:

1] Starting:
1a] Does the engine start? yes
1b] Does the engine crank over? yes
1c] Are your batteries fully charged? yes
1d] Have you removed, cleaned, and tightened all battery connections? no
1e] Does your Wait to Start light come on for a time? How long? yes- not more than 5 sec
1f] Does your glow plug light come on? _________ For how long? _________
1g] Do you see smoke from the exhaust while cranking? YES What color? blue
1h] Does the Service Engine Light Glow during Start/bulb check? no

2] Fuel Issues (if not running):
2a] Can you hear your lift pump working? yes
2b] Do you get a steady flow of fuel from the water drain (T-handle) ? _________
2c] Loosen the inlet line from the IP – is fuel coming out (Lift Pump on)? ___________
2d] Loosen an injector line and crank the engine - does fuel come out? _________
2e] Do you hear a vacuum (hiss) when you remove the fuel cap? ___________

3] PMD / IP Issues
3a] Location of PMD (on pump, on intake, remote mounted) side of intake on heat sink
3b] Condition of Extension harness (if used) Vendor or Homemade?vendor
3c] Condition of grounds / ground wires to IP / PMD. Check Harness. _________
3d] PMD Make: ___________
3e] PMD Age: _____________

4] Stalling Issues- N/A

5] Running Issues
5a] On cold start, does upper rad hose get hard before engine warms up? dont know
5b] Any bubbles or oil film in coolant overflow tank?no
5c] Any white slime on oil surfaces (dipstick, CDR, oil Fill cap)? no
5d] Excessive white smoke from exhaust on cold start? blue
5e] Excessive black smoke from exhaust under hard acceleration? appears blue

6] Performance Issues
6a] Do you have gauges (boost, EGT) ? no
6b] Maximum boost under load? stock
6c] Have you added a performance PCM (reflash) or Chip? unknown
6d] Have you changed exhaust / downpipe / crossover? crossover stock, exhaust is aftermarket
6e] Wastegate – vacuum (OEM)

7] Temperature-related Issues: n/a

Hey folks, this rig is running very rough. Has some sounds like a leaky head gasket but no coolant on ground or on engine. Alot of oil at rear of pass head. Cracked each fuel line while running- it did smooth out some but not alot on number 4 cyl. Removed pass side injectors- noticed #4 wet, and fuel sitting in precup. Owner thought it was a broken valve spring, but all appear to be intact and nylon keepers are also intact. The inside of the intake is BLACK with oil. It looks like somebody painted it!

My worry is #4 injector crapped itself, he continued to drive a few hundred miles this way blue smoke and all, and I wonder if the piston/cylinder wall is melted (hence the oil in the intake) or if the head gasket is blown. Valve train seems to be ruled out, though checking the lifters seems difficult without further disassembly.

Thoughts?

Temp guage was normal driving to my house last night- 5 miles and 85 degrees out. Does not smooth out much while driving.

Oil in take would be from PCV and or leaking turbo if I had to guess. I would try a new injector in #4 to start.

did you turn the engine over while you had the vlave cover off? it's usally pretty easy to see if one valve isn't moveing like the others

I couldn't turn it over and watch- 1 man show today... CDR is suspect, but there is SO much oil it is hard to find initial culprit. CDR is oil soaked, turbo is oil soaked... intake... eGAD

Gonna ck compression tomorrow, if ok add new injector, watch valve train and not hook up CDR or Turbo to intake. Buddy thinks turbo might be shot. It's a GM8 and it does actually sound like a Holeset on takeoff. Very loud.

Compr test is a good idea.
i would not be surpriced if # 4 has low compression,it might be more than a bad inj ,if that.
All that oil in the intake and the blue smoke sure sounds like a busted piston,altough the turbo could've crapped out (leaking seals or worse)

UPDATE: Comp check done. #2- 350 psi, #4- ZERO, #6- 320 psi... Followed that with the compressed air test. Put air to the cylinders with valves at "tdc". Air gets past the exhaust valve on #4 at TDC.

All valves moving normally while hitting the starter, so broken springs seem unlikely.

So... at a minimum something up with #4 valve. Cracked or burned badly...

With all the oil and a poorly maintained engine, very hard to tell if its CDR, hole in piston, or leaking turbo (without hooking it all back up and leaving turbo unhooked from intake).

Regardless, I need to pull the head from what I can glean...

are you sure it's the valve and not a hole in the piston?

The way to check this is watch the oil fill tube, cap off, for "puffs". It will have a huge puff like a freight train when a holed piston comes up on the compression stroke.

Head has to come off in either case. You may want to pull the engine to re-ring it and it would be easier to do the head work with the engine out... Plus if it is a piston - the engine will be junk. Junk because it costs $500.00 to bore it oversize plus parts from a cracked/burned piston damage, may have block cracks, and cheaper to get a take out engine.

How many miles on the injectors?

We watched the oil filler and it was just a steady stream of vapors. Pretty sure now its the EXHAUST valve because the compressed air came out of the EXHAUST manifold with the cylinder at TDC and the rockers "loose". Agreed- either way head must come off.

Pretty sure injectors are original (200k miles). This is one of the worst maintained 6.5's I have worked on.

He wants to pull motor from another truck and replace this with it, then tear down the engine to check it out. Fine with me, even tho those 4x4 engine mounts can KMA! I am trying to be fair with my labor rate, but this is a big job especially since the donor motor is in a vehicle, too.

Last edited:
Sounds like the same problem I had. Oil soaked turbo and intake. A lifter collapsed on the exhaust side and pushed oil out the turbo. The seals were probably weak in mine since they had 200k on them as well. My motor was well maintainted so I pulled both heads and changed both sets of lifters on each side of the motor. Plus my turbo was junk from the oil being pushed out.....it spun freely but had a lot of up and down play in the shaft (much more than it should have).

Back