• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

97 k1500 6.5 diesel has seen better days

M&J 123118

Reaction score
Hello my husband and I have a 97K 1500 turbo diesel that has seen better days (because of us) . This is our every day truck however we had a little error in judgment last week when going Turkey hunting and now we need a new brain for it. Had the sign been on the way we came we would’ve turned around.3D22F4EA-AFB7-4709-8174-0A716C8F0269.jpegD7D1653F-28D7-4BE3-B41C-00FE14E1406C.jpegF8A60154-9266-4610-B3C6-CB93A7F7C938.jpegD0EE662B-BF68-4872-B19E-B378EE44B5EB.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Why does that seem like one of those things that started out with someone saying "hold my beer ,and watch this"!!! Lol. Just messing with you..it happened, it can be fixed. You came to the right place we've all done some things with our trucks that we probably should have not have done... So by your comment are you saying that you tried the computer in the truck when you reference the brain or was that just kind of a wise ass comment... Either way welcome to TTS once we know the problem I'm sure we can help you get it fixed..

The front diff may be filled with water. Need to get the oils changed and things dried out ASAP. Check the air filter because as Will mentioned: If it sucked water the engine would have a bent rod at the minimum.

The electrical may need to be dried out. Alternator, starter... maybe connectors.

And I wouldn't expect that left front hub bearing to last. Deep water from monsoon runoff took mine out as well as the driveshaft center bearing.

Thanks everyone. I should mention that side by side in one of the pictures did not pull us out which we knew it wouldn’t but let the older man who was kind enough to try and help give it a try anyhow. It would barely budge when a friend with a 4wd dodge tried-took another friend with a 4wd Cummings diesel to get it out.

water did get in the air filter but not engine. We used wire dry on electrical components and brain. Took the brain from our 96 2wd diesel and put it in there-did the relearning thing too. It tried to start but hasn’t yet. My husband bled the intake as there was not water but air in the lines….then batteries were to weak to let us try again for the day to get it going again. Will post when we get it running and all we had to do to it. And as far as the new brain comment I feel every one needs one at times lol and Turkey hunting was a bust that day.

The computer is in front of the jockey box. The PMD which is the brain for the injection pump is mounted to the injection pump, unless it has been relocated on an extension harness. Then the most likely spot is behind the front bumper, but, some dont get the long harness and will relocate it under the hood someplace.

The starter is likely full of the water and mud. It likely isn't capable of spinning the engine fast enough anymore.

If these are flooded batteries ... the battery that was under water may have lost it's acid through the vents.

When things are under water the water replaces oil really fast.

A video of it spinning over would help. But if it sounds like it's cranking slow: it is and one is wasting their time trying to get it running.

It should spin this fast:

Hello my husband and I have a 97K 1500 turbo diesel that has seen better days (because of us) .
Took the brain from our 96 2wd diesel and put it in there-did the relearning thing too. It tried to start but hasn’t yet.
Assuming brain = Powertrain Control Module (PCM)...
96 and 97 PCM's may not be interchangeable even if they have the same connectors. Your spare PCM would need to be the same kind of transmission as your truck (the PCM is programmed differently for a manual vs automatic). 98+ PCM's have PassLock and wont allow 97 or earlier trucks to run after it starts.
Also if your PCM got wet, your cab fan would have likely been baptized as well. Might want to test that while things are apart.

Last edited:
Back