• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

97 hazzard switch snaped off

DEERE3594

I welcome everyone...not just Penguins!
Reaction score
Well they didnt work before, but in a attempt to get them to work I broke the switch off, its the new style with the red button on the top of the column. No i have to jam something done there to use my turn singnals. Its stuck in on on.. but they dont flash. How do i get that thing out of there? is there any way to cut some wires and by pass it with a togle? that is my hope

If you don't have SRS then just Pull the wheel. If it has SRS that is another procedure. IIRC 3500's were not SRS equipped.Mine wansn't. Column comes apart pretty easy aside from SRS. If you look up my Cruise Control thread at the old PLace I had pics. You can get the covers off without pulling the wheel but that truck had SRS . I'd pull the wheel.

ya if your lucky(no airbag) then pulling the wheel is a piece of cake. just make sure you have the wheel puller and the lock plate remover. you'll understand why when you get there. after that the rest is easy.

I pulled the wheel off my lumina with a air bag. Im not sure if its the same setup but it was just 4 screws to pull the bag off. I had to put in a new turn signal switch.

A friends 04 has the same button if I remember correctly. His came off too but it just sticks back inside and works fine.

I have that style on my 97 sonoma.....I broke the hazzard button off the top of the column pulling the trim for a stereo install. Looked at replacing it but the hazzard switch is part of the turn signal assembly $$$$$$$ at least when I looked at replacing it a bunch of years ago. I took a piece of flint out of a zippo lighter and made mine work. :D Not sure if the price of that signal assembly has come down but when I looked it was over 2 bills.

just looked it up at rockauto.....$165.79 for the one for my Sonoma which is also listed as the same part for your truck although there's a $97 option there for your truck too.

Pulling the airbag is not physically difficult but safety is the concern. There is a procude for safley disarming it. The littlest static can result in unjury or at the very least a few hundred dollars for a new bag. No need for the lockplate tool on 95+ IIRC. I was able to change my TS stalk without even pulling the wheel.

I broke the hazzard button off the top of the column pulling the trim for a stereo install. Looked at replacing it but the hazzard switch is part of the turn signal assembly $$$$$$$ at least when I looked at replacing it a bunch of years ago.

BUT.....there is a way to replace the Hazzard switch, problem is you need another switch from another turn signal switch (Dealer won't sell you the Hazzard switch/button)

The hazzard button actually pops right out of there...and the new one pops in....."Patty Columns'" (Column repair dude) did it for me and saved me the cost of a new switch.....It took him all of about 3 minutes!

When my "multi-function" switch went bad I replaced the whole steering column with one from the junkyard for $65. The switch alone was over $125 with a discount at napa . A real pia to replace just the switch. Replaced the column in a half hour.

Back