• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

97 chevy 4l803 is in limp mode, no codes

DiHdChevyGy

Reaction score
On the way to work the other day, put trans in drive and snap. My shift cable broke at the trans lever. No problem right, just replace the shift cable. Word of warning, DO NOT GET A PIONEER BRAND SHIFT CABLE. It will bind when you route it right out of the box. I tried 2 of them before getting a AC Delco cable and it worked like a charm. However, the neutral safety switch was also shot so I bought a new one of them. After cleaning the rust off my manual shift shaft and installing a new switch there was so much play in between the contact surface of the old shaft and the new switch. So I bought a new shaft, filter, fluid and shift shaft lever to attach my new cable to. Figuring I had it all fixed, I fired it up and put the truck in 'R', backed out of my garage, put the trans in 'D' and proceeded down the road. NO upshift, stuck in 2nd or 3rd. This condition was explained to me as a limp mode. To add insult to injury, there are no DTC's stored. I don't want to just throw money at it and hope it fixes it. Oh, yeah, checked my main ground from engine to frame and back up to fire wall with a ohm meter and there was no resistance. Any ideas?

did one better than that. just replaces the new neutral safety switch with a new ac delco unit. The new delco switch is better and it actually follows the PRNDL perfectly. However, the problem is still there. I have been told it could be my selenoids, my pump, my wiring, ect. I have contacted a transmission guy and have set up a time to install a gm techII and a pressure guage to activate and follow the functions of the transmission. Will let you know.

Recheck oil level. The converter can and will drain back to the pan. Could take several 'fills' till it gets enough fluid.

Shift linkage could be out of adjustment including improper shaft installation. Manual 2nd selected? Do the reverse lights work in reverse as asked above?

Something else could have come up.

I am sorry it took so long to reply. Here it goes and I hope you all can benefit from this. When we attached a GM TechII to my truck it told me, 'yep, your stuck in second gear'. We manually activated the selenoids and heard them clicking, followed my range selector all the way through and that was ok too. Every thing worked ok, but the tranny was still stuck in second. I bought a new speed sensor too, that didn't do it either. Got fed up and took it to a mechanic my brother told me about, and the next day he had it fixed. He said both shift selenoids were broken, literally hanging by their wires. He replaced them and slapped it together and everything is shifting great.... I had inspected my selenoids before I put the pan on many times, they didn't look bad to me.. Guess my eyes are getting bad.

Back