• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

'96 motor into a '95 truck?

Jorge6.5

Reaction score
What am I getting myself into by swapping a 96 motor into a 95 truck?

The 95 is A 5 speed and lacks a starter and alternator. The 96 is from an auto and has everything

Somebody will surely come along and correct me, but I would think you can just put the 95' IP on the 96' engine and be gravy. If you can't do that, then you would have to swap all the OBD2 stuff into the 95, which would be a PITA. All 6.5's are basically the same though so I don't see why you couldn't just swap the IP

I think the IP is a non-issue, it should all work.

the biggest deal is the accessories and brackets being totally different, and nothing hooking up right till you tear everything off the front of the motor and switch it around.

the engine wiring harness may differ slightly as well, so that will probably need switched.

basically pull them both out, strip them, swap the piles, re-assemble. sounds easy, right? :)

if you want to come all the way out here, I got the 96 chevy in the project section.

also, dont forget the manual transmission specific drain tube that routes the drain hole flow from the back of the valley out the side near the oil cooler lines to keep oil or fuel off the clutch disc.

I have no intentions of swapping harnesses. Was looking to just drop in my motor and use the 95 harness and front accessories.

Are the manual and auto tranny starters the same?

What will have to be done with the timing? Should that be ok assuming I don't remove the ip?

While I have the motor pulled I want to reseal the oil pan and valve covers also want to replace the front and rear main seals along with the harmonic balancer and pully.

Anything else I should take care of during this time?

that is what I meant, just the engine harness, the chassis ane cab harness should hook right up, its just how the engine harness routes around.

Are the manual and auto tranny starters the same?

What will have to be done with the timing? Should that be ok assuming I don't remove the ip?

While I have the motor pulled I want to reseal the oil pan and valve covers also want to replace the front and rear main seals along with the harmonic balancer and pully.

Anything else I should take care of during this time?

Timing should be OK, but you can allways confirm it with a scan tool.
Starters are the same.
Injectors, GPs, OPS ext hose, paint & detail.......

Back