• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

96 K2500 diesel burb

When they did the oil squirter blocks, they failed easier because of the cracking that occurs, but I never saw or even heard of one go in under 150,000 miles. Why is that crucial? Because back then almost no one knew they biggest issue was the harmonic balancer failure. When the rubber in the hb fails, it allows movement of the counter weight, which instead of helping the crank amplifies it's vibration. This vibration is held in place by the main caps which transfer the load to the block right through the oil squirters. When the balancer is taken care of, the crank and block has a long life.

Many people saw the amount of cracked 506 blocks vs the 141 blocks spoken about online and pin the 506 as bad. I think it was a pure numbers game. The fleet numbers, not just mine but several fleet mgrs. used to share info, saw same results from 506 as 141. imo until the optimizer, I don't value one block above another.

When they did the oil squirter blocks, they failed easier because of the cracking that occurs, but I never saw or even heard of one go in under 150,000 miles. Why is that crucial? Because back then almost no one knew they biggest issue was the harmonic balancer failure. When the rubber in the hb fails, it allows movement of the counter weight, which instead of helping the crank amplifies it's vibration. This vibration is held in place by the main caps which transfer the load to the block right through the oil squirters. When the balancer is taken care of, the crank and block has a long life.

Many people saw the amount of cracked 506 blocks vs the 141 blocks spoken about online and pin the 506 as bad. I think it was a pure numbers game. The fleet numbers, not just mine but several fleet mgrs. used to share info, saw same results from 506 as 141. imo until the optimizer, I don't value one block above another.

Thanks for those comments. One of the first mods I did was to install the Fluidamper with a new pulley. Need to do that on my son's '94.

I forwarded this to my wife. She asked if we were in the market for another Suburban? Honest answer is that I have too many projects on my plate, such that I would be difficult to take on another.

I am currently covering 6.5 work on both my ‘99 and my son’s ‘94. I am in the middle of a boat repower. Soon I will be starting into a major yard/driveway project on main residence. Have a bathroom remodel to do at my sister’s home. Also roof and solar install at sister’s home while overseening ac instal and chimney refurbish. Then my wife wants a new kitchen at our home. Oh and my ‘99 still has no 4 Lo on the transfer case. So it would be real hard to squeeze another 6.5 in there, especially a bone stock one that needs all the goodies. My wife thought it would be a good idea for a future snow blow truck to be used on future retirement ranch in Montana.

The goal was sell the 99. :) but if you are thinking of moving that negates the whole reason to shop for older. :)

I've got the smog thing down now on the '99. It's some work, but not that bad.

I wouldn't say were completely moving. Just adding places in other places.

Back